Looking for a resto shop

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

wklampfl

Looking for a resto shop

Post by wklampfl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:05 pm

I have a 1994 Firehawk, #336. For the past 3 years it's been sitting in a carport. Remarkably, it still starts (although the gas must be like varnish now). Anyway, I'd like to find a shop that does restoration on these. There's a laundry list of stuff that doesn't work or needs attention (headliner sagging, toasted power window motors, broken motor/tranny mount, grinding headline door motor, electrical issues, faded paint, etc.). I found a few shops online, but they only work on pre-'73 rides. I'm in Austin, TX, but I could manage to get the car wherever. I want to make this a high performance daily driver. Thanks for your help.

BLACK-HAWK

Re: Looking for a resto shop

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:58 pm

a few of those you can do your self or any GM dealership... i made this post for you, the rest is up to you! welcome aboard!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem ... st15003271
2001#194 (Unicorn)

1badchicken

Post by 1badchicken » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:55 am

what are you looking to do to it?
I'm in Austin and could give you a hand.

PM me and i can check out what you have and give you some leads

If its body work I would take it Rebreau Body and paint
Me along with AFB re did a Wounded Marines Firebird and they did a class A job free of charge for him. And if you are a paying customer I'm sure they would not do any less.

start and finish

wklampfl

Post by wklampfl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi 1badchicken, thanks for responding. I've had this Firehawk since day 1, bought it new in July of 1994 and it has about 77,000 miles on it. For the past 4 years, it’s been sitting in a carport gathering dust. There’s a laundry list of small yet annoying issues with it, along with a couple bigger ones:

Interior:
• Headliner is sagging badly – seems the glue has lost it’s stick.
• Power windows are sluggish / inoperable. Time for new motors.
• Passenger seat has a broken bracket and sits crooked.
• Radio is shot.
• Rear window tinting is now cloudy with scratches.
• Air conditioning heater blower motor growls. AC isn’t that cold – needs recharge.
• Airbag sensor light always on – don’t know why.
• Coolant level light always on despite full system.
• Gas gauge is completely out of sync with actual fuel level.
• Electronic door locks no longer work. Result of Pontiac’s service department yanking out the electronics when the alarm system had a problem. Now the door locks don’t function, the alarm system is torn out, the keyless entry is toast.
• Carpeting in truck has shrunken. Gaps.

Exterior:
• The paint has definitely seen better days. Faded. Cracking on the urethane bumpers.
• The headlight doors pop up when just the parking lights are activated. When turned off, the left headlight door does a mechanical growling for about 15 seconds.
• Rear taillight lenses are cloudy – delaminating.
• Directionals no longer work. Changed blinker control but appears to be poor electrical connections somewhere.
• Tires are dry-rotted. Lost the “key” for the wheel lock bolts.
• Pistons for rear hatch don’t hold up hatch. Have new pistons but haven’t replaced these yet.

Mechanical:
• When the car runs, there’s a pronounced thud when accelerating – possible broken motor mount or tranny mount.
• Rear seal is leaking.
• Problem with the rear axles – feels like something is bent or out-of-round. At slow speeds, car shimmies left-right-left. Possible damage from an unfortunate meeting with a concrete curb at speed.
• Windshield washer container broken, leaking.
• Fiberglass cowling in front of engine bay is cracked.
• Some of the wiring that wasn’t torn out by Pontiac is eaten through by varmints while in storage.

This car was my daily driver from ’94 to ’99. From ’00 until ’05 it was driven only occasionally. My job now has me working in both Austin and Orange County, California, so I’d like to get this car restored to be my daily driver in California (instead of a rental car). I’ve thought about selling it a few times, but I can’t part with it. Therefore, I’d like to find out if restoring it would be worth the time and expense. Unfortunately for me, time is a rare commodity.

1badchicken

Post by 1badchicken » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

california is a touchy place because of their strict smogs laws.
PM me your #