What did you do to your 'Hawk today?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

BLACK-HAWK

Re: What did you do to your 'Hawk today?

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Hawk640 wrote:Installed new rear brake pads. According to previous owners records and receipts, this car has had rear pads and or rotors replaced every 16-22k! Fronts have only been done once around 43k and still look new, yet rears were done at 49k and were completely gone at 66k, also 3 other f-bodies i have owned were the same way! Anyone know why???

A good possibility of why: when people do burn outs they usually stomp fairly hard on the brake . in order to break the rear tires lose they must over come the force being applied to the rear brakes and by doing so creates a lot of counter acting forces which generates a lot of heat from friction and causes both the rotors and pads to wear much faster then the fronts

That's my opinion
Last edited by BLACK-HAWK on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Guam Hawk

Post by Guam Hawk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:27 am

Changed my oil to LiquiMoly only synthetic I could find on Guam other than Mobil 1. They were out of Royal Purple but heard good reviews of this. Anyone else try it?

Hawk640

Post by Hawk640 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:39 am

Bryan, I would be tempted to think it was from power braking burnouts too, as my last used f-body had lots of rubber stuck to the rear bumper and inside the wheel wells. The Hawk has no signs of this or any other abuse of any kind and meticulous record keeping (it was obviously loved and well cared for). I also previously owned a 95 Z28 that I purchased brand new, and at the time being young with my first new car, could not afford to be buying new tires all the time, so I did not do any power braking burnouts. Brakes still wore out in less than 22k?

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:39 am

Power braking burn outs is what I ment to say... other possibilities, the e-brake was left on, the e-brake was used too much while driving, stuck calipers, flow control favored the rear, very rarely an owner will openly claim they play hard with their toys while selling to help entice people to buy.
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Hawk02

Post by Hawk02 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 pm

After 16k miles and still like new but clearly not safe for driving with the mods and tune she's had, got new tires put on yesterday - BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's - So far after deciding all winter which to go with. Goodyear dealer I take my company car to gave me a deal I couldn't pass up - $800 4 tires, mounting, balancing and alignment plus a $50 rebate. Even let me bring a bucket and cleaned the inner barrels.
2002 Trans Am Firehawk #1412
GM: M6,Silver,Ebony,TCS,12 Disk CD
SLP: Chrome,Bilstein,Auburn,Floor mats,Deck mat,Cover,Plaque,Key fobs,Portfolio
Mods: ARH+y-pipe,GMMG,SLP STB,SLP SFC weld,Hatch Mod,TCS,Lou SS,Spohn LCAs,Glowshift gauges,SLP line lock,Zaino

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Sun May 21, 2017 3:17 pm

FYI, you can't hotlink Facebook photos.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sun May 21, 2017 3:41 pm

I ordered a Loudmouth catback for my 10th
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Hawk02

Post by Hawk02 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:10 pm

PontiacFan wrote:FYI, you can't hotlink Facebook photos.
Dope! I just noticed that... been some time since posting but always checking and following whats going on. Guessing I have to post to a photo hosting site and then do image post?
2002 Trans Am Firehawk #1412
GM: M6,Silver,Ebony,TCS,12 Disk CD
SLP: Chrome,Bilstein,Auburn,Floor mats,Deck mat,Cover,Plaque,Key fobs,Portfolio
Mods: ARH+y-pipe,GMMG,SLP STB,SLP SFC weld,Hatch Mod,TCS,Lou SS,Spohn LCAs,Glowshift gauges,SLP line lock,Zaino

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Hawk02 wrote:
PontiacFan wrote:FYI, you can't hotlink Facebook photos.
Dope! I just noticed that... been some time since posting but always checking and following whats going on. Guessing I have to post to a photo hosting site and then do image post?
Yes, to post pictures here on the forum. I personally use Photobucket but there are several options available....

I also ordered the SLP long tube headers kit for a full SLP exhaust system :mrgreen:
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Bad324

Post by Bad324 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

started my double din head unit install but failed to recall I had to cut out the tray and didn't have enough time before I had to get to work so hoping to finish that tonight or in the morning
-Brian

1999 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk #517