Rally aerial video - gauging interest?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

FIRSTLAST

Rally aerial video - gauging interest?

Post by FIRSTLAST » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Had a idea, so did some checking and found a company in the central Ohio region that would aerial video our Firehawk Rally for $425. They use a drone with good pro grade camera. This would require some pooled resources to pay for - so need to talk up the idea and see if it was a good idea, and if wanted. Using a quad copter drone, the height would be low so we would get good video of the whole line of cars with the beautiful surroundings.

My idea would be to have it cover our cruise on the Peninsula from East going toward the Cedar Point big parking lot.

But we could also see about covering the Norwalk raceway with the cars parked. I did not ask for that in the initial discussion.

Whole idea here is to build some enthusiasm to have a real turn out like the good old days about 10 years back.

http://www.gunnphotoservices.com/video.html
2002 Firehawk 1111 NBM

BLACK-HAWK

Re: Rally aerial video - gauging interest?

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

I would be all for is just as long as it would be made in to a 20th. Anny. video incorporating pictures from others and if possible footage of the Firehawk Cruise! ( which i think would be freaking awesome!)
2001#194 (Unicorn)

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Having a drone video'ing along the route seems like a liability.
What do they do about the power lines, towers, etc?

I've seen the copter/drone/GoPro video things around quite often as they are really gaining popularity.
I have a GoPro & it takes really cool videos. I've used on the motorcycle rides quite a bit in the Black Hills.

It's just that when I think about that 'Firehawk Cruise', I wonder how well that would work to 'follow' the route.
Maybe we need more details?

If there's only 20cars at the Rally, that's a $20 bill for everyone.
Do you think EVERYONE would be willing to pay that.
I would, but only because I'm going to save $400 on my motel bill, as I'm going to stay down the street at another location. :lol:
Cheap ass, I know, ...

Bryan, you need to see if you can get to central Nebraska by Thursday morning.
VirgilB is planning on leaving Denver on Thursday morning & coming thru this area.
I'm planning on leaving Kearney Thursday mid-morning & then Virgil & I will meet up somewhere between Lincoln, NE & eastern Iowa.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 am

for the cinematography of the cruise I would do a simple one position hoover of the line of cars coming towards and going away from the camera as it's acceding slowly. Given a set cruise route, It could make pre-staging for the operator easy as they wouldn't have to travel with the group. They would know where to be, about when we would be coming and would be all set up to capture the footage. Another element, I don't know how fast the drone goes but if it can keep up at about 25-30mph they could be the last vehicle in the line and follow at about 10' above the convoy to capture the cars as they snaking through the streets and still be low enough to get footage. Would only need about 1-2min. of footage for a video. Coming from far west coast cali ( caugh caugh Brian F. long distance award'n big trophy) My budget limits me to about $75-$100 max to pitch in for the aerial video. I just think if paying the price we should get as much out of it as possible then just an aerial shot of the show. As I sit here typing this, getting aerial footage of firehawks side by side going down the drag strip would be cool too!

I'll get with VirgilB on the facebook. I do have a hanker'n to go through the LONG Washington tunnel :naughty: :mrgreen: I can adjust when I leave accordingly. As of now my plan is (12+,12+,6,6)..
-Ca>Ut, Sun or Mon
-Ut>Lincoln,Ne,,Tue
-Ne>Geneseo,Il area,.. Wed
-Il> Norwalk. Thurs
2001#194 (Unicorn)

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

PontiacFan wrote:Having a drone video'ing along the route seems like a liability.
What do they do about the power lines, towers, etc?

I've seen the copter/drone/GoPro video things around quite often as they are really gaining popularity.
I have a GoPro & it takes really cool videos. I've used on the motorcycle rides quite a bit in the Black Hills.

It's just that when I think about that 'Firehawk Cruise', I wonder how well that would work to 'follow' the route.
Maybe we need more details?

If there's only 20cars at the Rally, that's a $20 bill for everyone.
Do you think EVERYONE would be willing to pay that.
I would, but only because I'm going to save $400 on my motel bill, as I'm going to stay down the street at another location. :lol:
Cheap ass, I know, ...

I'm a cheap ass too. I booked the same motel I used last year and with tax it comes to $75/night with wi-fi and free breakfast.

And I earn points too.
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am

HawkLT1 wrote:I'm a cheap ass too. I booked the same motel I used last year and with tax it comes to $75/night with wi-fi and free breakfast.

And I earn points too.
Where at Bob?
I thought I was lucky to find one at $112 a night.

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm staying a long ways away. Bowling Green. I think it's about an hour away. I am staying there Friday night and then at the show/dinner on Saturday, then back to the hotel and head for home on Sunday AM. Since I don't have a car it's no big deal really and it splits up the driving nicely for me.
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

02 red hawk

Post by 02 red hawk » Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 pm

The possibility of a firehawk video? If it's long enough, I would be interested in a copy.