What is a low mile 10th Anniversary Firehawk worth!

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

g.conway

What is a low mile 10th Anniversary Firehawk worth!

Post by g.conway » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:12 pm

Had to get my 10th Anniversary Firehawk appraised for insurance purposes. I went to a Government accredited appraiser. He appraised my car at $45,000 Canadian. (Insert jokes here). I questioned him on this as it sounded high. He said that this is value only. What people are willing to pay right now would be much less. Because these are very limited production vehicals the one must take into account the future potential. Who would hav thought that a 1970 GTO Judge Convertible would be worth $200,000 They built 169 of these.
Many people say a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Others say a car is worth what you are willing to sell it for. The appraser sais that the value of a car has nothing to do with horse trading

Firebrian

Re: What is a low mile 10th Anniversary Firehawk worth!

Post by Firebrian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Appraisals for "insurance purposes" are sort of useless unless you have an Agreed Value policy with your insurance company. And no insurance policy should be factoring in future collectibility as no one knows what that is going to be. Most appraisals I've seen on collector cars are totally worthless with typically inflated values by 50-100%. Can't compare 168 - 1970 Judge Convertibles built vs. a smaller number of 2001 FH anniv cars. They didn't save more than a couple of those Judges in mint/low miles condition. I'd figure that 20-50% of all 2001 Anniv cars are in mint/low mileage condition/1-2 owners. They were purposely saved in quantity....some of them "bagged" as time capsules. The only way they will be worth $200K someday is if those Judges end up being worth $2 MILL each...which is not out of the realm of possibility if the currency in question depreciates a ton. The baby boomer generation (and inflation) helped pushed the price of Judges to these high levels. Which generation is going to push the Firehawks to extreme heights? >90% of the public probably doesn't even know what a Firehawk is....and they are only 13-22 years old. But 45 years after the Judges came out I'd bet 20-30% of the population still knows that a Judge is. The big HP Judges were still top dawgs even into the 1990's. These days, with 707 HP Hellcats, and even Mustang GT's at >410 hp, our 315-345 hp Firehawks are sort of falling behind. That will play a role in future potential appreciation. If in 10 years the entry V8 Mustangs are up to 500+ hp what then? If our typical gas today gets reformulated or weened out, those Judges could be at risk too.

The 13K mile mint anniv Hawk listed below is $35K/obo and has not sold. Considering the current 1.86 exchange rate from US to CAD, your $45K CAD appraisal is $24,200 in US dollars. That may not be too far off it's real value if the miles are under 30K.

I'd figure a mint 10K-15K mile M6 in the $25K to $30K range....possibly the higher end of that range. I haven't seen many trade hands. And while those cars are a lot rarer than a 1999 WS6 anniversary car, they also aren't as popular. In my mind the 2 cars are pretty similar in value....at the top of the heap of their respective models. It also depends on what one's definition of "low mileage" is. Some people would call a 55K mile car low mileage. Other collectors would consider <10K miles as low mileage. There could be a $8K-$10K difference in price between a 10K vs. 50K mile 2001 anniv FH....and both would be "low mileage" to 99% of the general public.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Firebir ... ars_Trucks

Mattie

Post by Mattie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 pm

Right there with you Firebrian good summary.

Except your $USD vs $CAD is off a bit.

$45,000 CDN is about $38,000 USD (not $24,200 USD)
mattie

2000 T/A Firehawk #C15
Black, T-tops, 6spd.

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Mattie wrote:Right there with you Firebrian good summary.

Except your $USD vs $CAD is off a bit.

$45,000 CDN is about $38,000 USD (not $24,200 USD)

I wonder what I did wrong? The USD/CAD futures price on Friday was 1.86. I just assumed that the exchange rate was comparable. Oops, just saw my error. The actual value is 1.186....didn't even see the 1 sitting there on the tiny screen I use. And I should know better to think the USD was nearly 2X the value of the CAD dollar. So, at $38K $USD that's probably pretty optimistic for a standard production 2001 Firehawk anniv coupe. I could see one of the world's best 2001 FH anniv M6 convertibles worth up around that number.

Stringfellow

Post by Stringfellow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:33 pm

Well, I have #110 and Ive got 95K miles on her as of this summer, and I wouldn't consider her worth more than 9-10K bucks USD. I also know if I sold her today, I prob couldn't turn around tomorrow and buy another for the same price, especially in Canada. With that said, Im not concerned with the value of the car other than insured replacement value or accident repair costs since many insurance companies are oblivious to the Firehawk specific parts to repair/replace properly at the added cost. I wont be parting with the car anytime soon under my own free will unless the money offer was so stupid to turn down. "My" appraisal is because obviously the mileage, but the gold stripes are needing replacement and the front bumper could use a repaint due to stone chips.
ImageImage
2001 10th Anniversary M6
car # 472/10th # 110

Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds
Signed Book # 472

g.conway

Post by g.conway » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 am

My 10th Anniversary just turned 17k. The appraser said that the comparable to the Firehawk would be a Shelby or a Roush. Not a WS6. That is a factory built car . These are not. The firehawks are custom built aftermarket Specialty cars. And you are right in that 90% of the general public does not know what a Firehawk is little on what a 10th Anniversary is. I spend my summer weekends at car shows introducing peple to my car. The reaction from the general public is usually never seen one or never heard of a Firehawk. But then there is the Pontiac fan s with the wow I saw one in a magazine once or ya I saw one in a commercial once. Then there is the one guy who knew a guy who owned one once. Anyone can walk into a dealership a buy a mustang or camaro or a hellcat or SRT. All it takes money.
I was one of those dumb asses that saw a picture of a Firehawk on the internet and said "what is an Slp firehawk
I liked it enough to decide to buy one. A Blue one. Till I saw the black and gold one . I wanted the Automatic black and gold one. Then i found out that there was only 32 in the entire world. Not many to chose from. I read about the Bilstein
Suspension and the Auburn Differential and thought that I wanted both. But only 9 of the 32 cars had both. I then read that there was two types of seats available. The delux seats with the big plastic shield on the back or the smooth leather European style seats without the plastic shield. Only problem was only 1 of the 9 of the 32 cars built had the European seats. That car came up for sale 2 summers ago in Florida. It is now in my garage. It is almost sad that even most of the owners of the Firehawks don't understand how special these cars are. Eventually what are left of the unaltered 10th anniversary cars will be bought up by those of us that think that these are the best Pontiacs ever built