Tail of the Dragon & Moonshiner 28

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

opie

Tail of the Dragon & Moonshiner 28

Post by opie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 am

The wife and I are heading to Gatlinburg tomorrow morning. We have not been there since our honey moon 36 yrs ago. On Tuesday the 22nd we are doing the big loop. Going from Gatlinburg to the Tail of the Dragon to Deals Gap, then hopping on Moonshiner 28 to 74, then onto Bryson City, where we will hit 19 to Cherokee, then North on 441 back to Gatlinburg. This will be an all day cruise, and I haven't done this since I was 19 yrs old. And that time I was in a brand new Chevy step-side pick up.

This will be the first time for 02SOMHAWK374. Speedo just turned 37,000 on the Hawk the other day and I am sure we will be putting on somewhere between 2500 and 3000 miles. Will be putting the Hawk away for hibernation when we get back.

http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/directio ... atlinburg/
02SOMHAWK374

Maplehawk

Re: Tail of the Dragon & Moonshiner 28

Post by Maplehawk » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Sounds like a fun trip. Have fun and share photos afterwards.
Mac Logan
1992 Firehawk #05
1995 Firehawk #C04
2018 Mercedes-Benz C300 Wagon
Proud Member - Firehawk Association of America
Author of Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Congrats! And she wants to be on the road, not collecting dust in the dark cool garage. Glad to read she'll be spreading her wings out on the open road!
2001#194 (Unicorn)

opie

Post by opie » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:56 am

Back home again.

We did the loop, with Gatlinburg being our base of ops. What a ride! Lots of motorcycles and not as much muscle cars. More sport imports than GM, Ford or Chrysler. We met so many folks from Germany riding MC's. They were driving up and down the dragon all day long. We found the loop to give us more views. Plenty of places to pull over and enjoy the mountain and valley views.

We recommend this for anyone that likes to drive the twisties and I mean twisites. Missy could not understand why anyone would build a road like the Dragon. I told her it use to be a Cherokee tail that became a dirt road and finally a paved road. Moonshiner 28 was just as much fun, as you could pick up the pace a wee bit more.

I am not going to wait another 36 yrs before we do this again.

If anyone is thinking of getting rid of their Hawk, take it on the loop and you will never get rid of it or that grin.
02SOMHAWK374