Battery

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

rlafash

Battery

Post by rlafash » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:58 am

Any recommendation for replacement battery for 2002 Firehawk? Car does sit, unused, for long time periods.

Scott Chab

Re: Battery

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Whatever brand you get just disconnect it if it is going to sit for a while.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

redhawk

Post by redhawk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:45 pm

I don't think it really matters what brand you get, although I do believe you get what you pay for and how you maintain it.
My original battery lasted 6 years before finally going bad. I did not keep a battery floater on it for probably the first 4 years. It went dead on me 2 or 3 times from just sitting. My second battery has always had a battery floater on it and is going on 8 years. It has went dead on me a few times only at car shows and always jump started with no problems.
I've never disconnect it when stored, but wouldn't be a bad idea.
Hope that helps a little.
2002 Trans Am Firehawk Vert #25 Red w/Ebony Interior w/M6 1 of 19 built
2002 Trans Am Firehawk T-top #162 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Camel Interior 1 of 7
1978 Trans Am Martinique Blue w/Black Deluxe Interior Owned since 7/82

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I would get an AGM or at least a sealed one. Group 75's are getting harder to come by on the high end stuff. If you are bad at maintaining them def don't get an Optima. They tend to go bad if discharged. Also if you have a place to plug into, get a battery tender if the car will be stored awhile. Otherwise remove the battery and store it someplace warm/dry (again preferably on a tender) if the car is going to sit. Takes under 5 min to take it out, literally 1 bolt. beats destroying them.
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

FIRSTLAST

Post by FIRSTLAST » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:32 pm

AC Delco is still a independent battery product. I would select that. Check corporate website for the distributor in your region. My city has a AC DELCO jobber store for trade shops.

Most batteries of conventional lead acid design are now coming out of Mexico from Johnson Controls. You also have Exide. Those 3 are it. That industry has really shaken out. Interstate brand, and virtually all our retail sold batteries are Johnson manufactured. I have had various issues with new Johnsons, like dead cells, etc...
2002 Firehawk 1111 NBM

rlafash

Post by rlafash » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:05 pm

My thanks to all who responded. Each of you pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the battery and reasons for its failure. The battery that failed was a three year six month old Optima. I did not purchase the battery; it was in the car when I bought it. I've not had good luck with Optima batteries. I have had good long term performance with the MAAX battery sold by Walmart, however, they have no group 75 batteries available in the mid-east. I bought a Federated battery which I think is made by Johnson Controls. We'll see. I'll be posting another question about how to remove the seatback cover on the drivers seat of this.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:17 pm

I do not endorse Optima.. But regardless of what battery you get, if you plan on just looking at and using your Hawk as a dust collector I would recommend a battery trickle charger. Batteries usually stay changed longer the less time spent between start ups
2001#194 (Unicorn)

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Optimas are fine as long as you maintain their charge (or get a yellowtop instead of red). But if it sits with no tender, then you def don't want one.
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293