Technically a mid-engine car?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

mikecronis

Technically a mid-engine car?

Post by mikecronis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:08 pm

This will be my 3rd Firebird (and second Firehawk, 1999 #0423 I cannot find anywhere once sold). Anyone who's tried to change those last 2 sparkplugs in the back, even with a "crow's foot" know it can be impossible without coming up from underneath and ultimately best left to a shop if you don't have a lift. I was noticing that the engine is so far pushed-back to the firewall, that it seems the engine rests behind the front wheels. Doesn't that technically make the F-Bodies a mid-engine, RWD car? Having owned a Federal Lotus Elise I can attest of similar handling balancing. Opinions?

Scott Chab

Re: Technically a mid-engine car?

Post by Scott Chab » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:53 pm

No.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Mid engine is behind the seats and in front of the rear axle
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

TTOP350

Post by TTOP350 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Remove the coils/bracket and then do the rear plugs. Much easier.
Always looking for SLP/Firehawk parts for 3rdgen birds.
PM me.

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:21 pm

A mid-engine car has the engine in-between the front are rear axles as a strict definition.

Traditionally, most mid-engine cars, such as my Lotus Elise R are considered mid-engine and fit the (behind the driver) motif. I'm pretty sure Porsche had a rear-engine car, having the engine behind the rear axle, such as the 911 RR. Also were the original Fiat 500, and the Volkswagen Beetle.

Looking another way here, LS1 motor mostly sits behind the front axle. I'm not sure what percentage technically makes a mid-engine car as-defined. Cutaway diagrams seem to show the majority of the engine block to be just behind the front axle. The term "mid-engine" does not fit popular acceptance/culture, however because of the motor's actual location...

I know it's assumed a front-engine, RWD design, but on technical terms... just sayin'.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:13 pm

The term "mid-engine" has usually been applied to cars having the engine located between the driver and the rear drive axles. This layout is referred to here as RMR layout. Sports and racing cars typically have this mid-engine layout, as these vehicles' handling characteristics are more important than other features, such as capacity. Additionally the mechanical layout and packaging of a RMR car is substantially different from that of a front engine or rear engine car.

A subset of Front-Rear when the engine is in front of the driver, but fully behind the front axle line, the layout is sometimes called Front Mid engine Rear FMR layout instead of the less-specific term front-engine.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

mikecronis

Post by mikecronis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:23 am

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't aware of the subset!