insurance

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

jay

insurance

Post by jay » Tue Aug 22, 2000 8:20 pm

I just bought a 94 firehawk and before i bought it I was told by my insurance man that there would be no price increase for the high performance. Now i have had that we have the car we found out that it is going to increase. We have State Farm insurance and I was wondering if any of you guys have got around paying the extra money.

Thanks
Jay

TAS

RE: insurance

Post by TAS » Wed Aug 23, 2000 9:29 am

Jay
There is no way around it if you are under 25 and if you are NOT married...

The best way is to insure the car as a sunny day drive only....thats what I do
and I'm 35 and married with a clean record.....and if you are M put the Wife as the primary driver. I foreget the exact name of the type of coverage I have but it work out well...we put about 4000 miles a summer.

hope this helps...I'm with state farm also
T.A.S.

Jason Vaux 95 #617

Post by Jason Vaux 95 #617 » Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:56 pm

I just purchased my 95 firehawk in July. I am 25 and single, with a clean driving record. I do have another vehicle that is my primary.
According to my insurance agent (nationwide), the VIN still shows the vehicle as a firebird (not firehawk). He gave me the same insurance as someone with a regular firebird.
Best thing I can tell you.....become very good friends with your insurance agent. And possibly check some other companies!
Jason

jay

Post by jay » Thu Aug 24, 2000 8:12 pm

Hey Jason thanks for the info, but on your vin number is the 5th letter an "s" or a "v". because mine is a V which is means it is a formual or trans am.

Thanks
Jay

Jason Vaux 95 #617

Post by Jason Vaux 95 #617 » Thu Aug 24, 2000 8:55 pm

Mine is a V also.
I asked my agent today (we have been friends since birth), and he said most insurance companies already have these cars listed as a sports car. He said his company doesn't rate a firehawk any different than a normal firebird.
He couldn't tell me much about State Farm though. Might be worth checking into some other companies.
Jason

Dale 99Hawk610

Make sure you do this

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Thu Aug 24, 2000 10:46 pm

tell them and make them document that it is a Firehawk in the policy. That way incase you are ever in an accident they will have to pay for SLP parts that are specific to the Firehawk.

A couple months ago I hit a deer in my hawk ($5,400 in damage) and the insurance adjuster tried to put a WS6 hood on my hawk. There is about $200 differance in the price of the Firehawk hood and the WS6 hood and he tried to tell me that my Firehawk is an after market deal and he would not pay to have the current hood replaced. I told him to look at my policy a little closer and see any notes that were placed on it that I told the operator at the company to make. I just had them place the WU6 option code and told them about what was on it other than the Standard Trans Am Content (hood, wheels, tires, exhoust, badging, etc...). He didn't argue about that anymore since it was down in writing that it was being insured the way it was.

BTW that was with Travelers Insurance Group and they have since kicked me out since they had to pay $4,400 more than I have paid them in insurance (I've only paid about $1000) since I only had to pay $90 a month and only had the hawk for almost a year.

Now I'm with Progressive (19 and not married) and pay about $100 a month. The hawk is titled in my mom's name and she has every thing under them (house, her car, truck, sisters car) so we get some discounts that way. I am down as a full time driver though.