Z06 Hawk

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Matt Freeman

Z06 Hawk

Post by Matt Freeman » Fri Sep 08, 2000 1:29 pm

I heard rumors that GM is ceasing production of the firebird/camaro in the year 2002. I was hoping that SLP could run a limited production 02' Firehawk with the Z06 engine (385 horse) from the upcoming 01' Vette. How about that for the baddest bird of them all!

Shawn

RE: Z06 Hawk

Post by Shawn » Fri Sep 08, 2000 3:03 pm

It doesn't make since to cease production 3 years before a labor contract issue. The workers contract for the main plant is up in 04'. More than likely they will build models up to 03' and do special edition 35 aniversary for the 04' year only. By the time of the negotiations for the workers take place they would have the year covered for 04'. As far as the LS6 engine goes, i wouldn't mind seeing that. Towards the end of the year i will start researching if it will be compatible with the work i'm doing on my car now, and look into dropping one of those bad boys in my 99' Hawk....

Dale 99Hawk610

2002 is last year for F-body...n/m

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Fri Sep 08, 2000 7:10 pm

`

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Sep 11, 2000 1:51 pm

There won't be a Z06 Hawk... not from GM anyway. Lingenfelter, SLP or Mecham may do an install but I wouldn't count on it. It would be VERY expensive for anyone to do, the engine would probably cost in excess of $20K... add that to $30K for a Hawk or SS and you're talking Z06 money or more.

'02 is the 35th anniversary for the Camaro and Firebird... not '04... :-)

Scott Chab
'94 Hawk #110

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Tue Sep 12, 2000 10:20 am

99' was the year for the 30th aniv. T/A. 5 years after that is 04'.

Kevin T.'94 Hawk #497

Post by Kevin T.'94 Hawk #497 » Tue Sep 12, 2000 11:27 am

Correct, but the first years of production for the Camaro and Firebird was 1967. The Trans Am didn't happen until 1969. AutoWeek speculated that GM would say good-bye to the Camaro with a red, white, and blue 35th Anny edition.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Tue Sep 12, 2000 12:37 pm

Sounds interesting about the Camaro, and as far as I know (could be mistaking), GM has always tried to make concessions for eqaulity between the aniv. editions of the Camaro and T/A. I'm hearing a lot of very good veiws about the end of life on the F-body. I still feel that it is a lot of talk for the 2002 end of life. Just my opinion though. But then again i could see the whole SUV plausability to possibly try to take adbantage to the Firestone/Ford issue of the recalls. I could see Ford losing some buisness over that. But once again i've heard so many times about the end of life for F-body cars since 98'. That's when i first heard about the end of life. I've heard so many different versions and times and dates and reasons, and once again i could be wrong, but it just sounds like they are putting these rumors out to drive up sale a bit until they actually do decide. I went to a car show about a year ago with all the major car dealerships showing there 2000 models. I spoke with both represinitives of chevy and pontiac and got the same answer. It depends on the sales for the next couple of years, but they are looking at a possibility of shutting down in 04'. I see more of the WS6,Firehawks, SS and Z28's be sold and made since 97'-98'. Word alone was that for 2001 there was going to be over 1,000 Firehawks made. I just find it hard to beleive 2002 is it. Just from what i heard and my opinion, that's all

Kevin T.'94 Hawk #497

Post by Kevin T.'94 Hawk #497 » Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:15 pm

It does seem just plain wrong. The Camaro and Firebird (and T/A) are a slice of Americana. To kill them so as to make more Tahoes...the thought makes me sick. Anyway, this is directly from the July 31 Autoweek, "GM's Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebird are going on hiatus at the end of 2002 and one of them never will return." The article is called "F-body's last gasp" and goes on to talk about how GM is killing the f-body just when it finally has it right (like the Cadillac Allante and Pontiac Fiero). All I can say is, if it is true, make sure you take care of what you've got.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Sep 12, 2000 3:27 pm

That's why I said '02 is the 35th anniversary of the Camaro and Firebird... The Camaro SS was built in '67 so a 35th anniversary SS would be '02, not '04.

Scott Chab

Smiley

RE: 2002 is last year for F-body...n/m

Post by Smiley » Sun Sep 17, 2000 3:12 am

Email message from Pontiac, December 3, 1999:

Thank you for your E-mail. Unfortunately, the Firebird will be discontinued by Pontiac with the 2002 model year. We apologize for the dissatisfaction this may cause you and want you to know that a number of Firebird enthusiasts have expressed their desire to see us continue producing them. We always listen to our customers and use that input to determine which products we will produce. While we have no current plans to produce a replacement for Firebird, we want to assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration.

Straight from the horse's mouth...