Is the car faster with traction control

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

J-P

Is the car faster with traction control

Post by J-P » Mon Sep 11, 2000 11:25 am

From the posts i am reading here this car is as fast at the C5 but are you guys using the traction control or not? as well what is the top speed of this car? what kind of gas mileage are you getting if you go the speed limit?
thanks
J-P

Shawn

RE: Is the car faster with traction control

Post by Shawn » Mon Sep 11, 2000 12:02 pm

Well i'm not sure about the traction control having any affect with top end speed, i've gotten my car up to about 158 mph without the programing box. I've been told that you can change the top end to around 180-maybe-185, but i'm not sure. My freind has a 30th aniversary and has it programed for 175mph. I couldn't tell you the gas mileage for the car because i can never keep my foot out of it. So i don't know about that. I usual fill my tank anywhere from 2-3 times a week. Here in California, the Bay Area, gas prices are kindda extreme. I think the last time i filled up it was about $2.20 a gallon. Guess i will have to find out what the gas mieage is for just cruisin if the price keeps going up....

Dale 99Hawk610

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Mon Sep 11, 2000 9:05 pm

I average 22 miles to the gallon...a little highway, city, and hot rodding all combined.

During the convoy to Norwalk, OH I got 42 miles to the gallon threw Indiana...I didn't have my foot in it on that tank. I think we must have had a tail wind, becouse that is the best I've ever gotten and I didn't get anywere close to that on the way back. We didn't stop between fill ups on that tank either, 75 mph in 6th gear held her steddy.

I would assume traction control would limit your top end a little, but I don't have it so I can't say forsure.

JoeA 94 Hawk #253

Post by JoeA 94 Hawk #253 » Mon Sep 11, 2000 9:14 pm

$2.20 a gallon?!! Ouch!!!

Matt Freeman

Post by Matt Freeman » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:24 pm

I think the traction control is disabled after 110mph or so. Im not sure if the new stability control systems on the C5 are disabled after a certain speed or not. As far as a computer programmed top end, how on earth will an F-body approach 170 without engine modifications? I buried my 95 formula in 5th gear in the 150's and I know the engine can't pull 6th gear at that speed.

Matt

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Wed Sep 13, 2000 2:40 pm

did you change out your heads? Or is your or was your 95 still all stock? I have taken my 99' up to 157-158 at about 6100rpms in 5th.
I've been told if you change your heads to like Mac, you will get a little more kick in 6th gear.

Matt Freeman

Post by Matt Freeman » Wed Sep 13, 2000 6:23 pm

The car was completely stock and ran pretty strong considering it only had 275 horse. I took it to the dragstrip when the temp was around 85 degrees and the car ran a consistent time of 14.1@99.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Sep 14, 2000 8:27 am

Well that is probably the deal thin. When i took my car out for a spin, i went more than a 1/4 mile stock. I actually went about 50 miles, but reached the near top speed just a little bit after the quarter mile. These cars are much stronger as an all-round circut car.