Does your gas guage read right?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

JBHawk'00

Does your gas guage read right?

Post by JBHawk'00 » Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:19 am

Hi again...Another question for you guys. How accurate is your gas guage? Supposedly the 2000 Hawk has a 16+ gallon gas tank...well when I'm on empty and I refill i only put in 13 gallons at the most. I'm not complaining because the gas here is about 2.15 a gallon. However, I'm not that fond of a guage that lies...I'm wondering if I should get it checked or if this is what everyones does...any ideas?

thanks,
John

Shawn

RE: Does your gas guage read right?

Post by Shawn » Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:32 am

Mine does about the same. I will top it off around 14 and some change, but it takes a little longer for the extra gas to burn off. I like to say my 5th 1/4 of a tank. I don't have a problem with it, only the price here at 2.20+ some times.

Dale 99Hawk610

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Wed Sep 13, 2000 11:49 am

The factory gages aren't really all that accurate. The tach is slow, the oil is off a tad, not sure on the volts or temp. My gas gage seems to be as about as accurate as it can get...the check gages light come on just before it hits E then after It hit E I'm at a gas station filling up. When it is on E I can put in about 14.5 gallons in my 16.8 gallon tank. You don't ever need to run your tank down to were it is just about empty because you need the gas in there to keep the fuel pump lubracated to help it from premuturely quiting on you.

mark thornblad

Post by mark thornblad » Wed Sep 13, 2000 11:27 pm

I guess it depends on what year you have. I have a 1995 and when the gauge says 1/8 of a tank, you are out of gas!!.
When you fill it up, it stays on full for an awfully long time. But when it says 1/2 tank, you really have 1/3 of a tank.
This is because the tank is in a "V" shape and the sensor doesn't take the tank shape into consideration.

Bob Deffenbaugh

Post by Bob Deffenbaugh » Tue Sep 19, 2000 4:28 am

My 1993 is the same way, when it says 1/4 you have about 1/8 tank or less and when it gets below 1/8 tank...You're walking! It does tend to stay on the full mark for quite a while though.
Bob D.