Bilstein or new Double Koni's?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Doug

Bilstein or new Double Koni's?

Post by Doug » Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:19 am

I'm just curious, I am planning to purchase a 2001 Firehawk and wondered if anyone had details or experience with these 2 options. Any real preferences? For the extra $800 I would expect the Koni's to be better, but sometimes less is more. I would appreciate any feedback.

What I'm really hoping for is a car that helps cure my addiction to my motorcycle... I just haven't found a car worthy yet. :)

Doug
Orlando, Fl.

Dale 99Hawk610

RE: Bilstein or new Double Koni's?

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:43 pm

The Hawk will cure your addiction to the bike.

It all depends on what you like, the Koni's are adjustable and from what I've managed to find (accurasy is about 90% I'm guessing) the Koni's when set on soft or what ever it is called will be about like the bilsteins. When you have them set on stiff (again, what ever it is called) it will shake the car apart (figure of speech). I'm about 95% sure I will be ordering my self an 01 hawk also and I will be getting the bilsteins again instead of the 1LE since they will be set on soft most of the time and I don't see the point of spending the extra 800 bucks when it will only be set on stiff while at the track...I don't go to the track all that often.

Hope it helps...BTW if the 1LE was still at 1400 bucks I would go ahead and get that, but since they raised the price I'm not.

Dale 99Hawk610

Post by Dale 99Hawk610 » Mon Sep 18, 2000 12:49 pm

Also, the bilstein is a some what stiff suspension. It is stiff enough that sometimes the CD changer will skip when I go over a bump in the road. I've only had the head unit skip once and that was a very, very rough road that I was on when that happened.

But when you are on a flat surface it rides like a catty :-)

Doug

Post by Doug » Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:38 am

Cure My addiction ot the bike huh? Well, don't know about that. I am running 10's in the quarter and its still fully stock. I can get to 165 in a mile and fit between 2 semi trucks when necessary to evade the occasional porsche c-4 that manages to keep up (rare). Vettes aren't a concern, haven't run into a firehawk yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

I like the firehawk, and right now its a toss up for me between a used supra turbo and the 2001 Firehawk.

Doug

Matt Freeman

Post by Matt Freeman » Mon Oct 02, 2000 5:57 pm

I think if you are trying to cure your addiction to the bike, the supra might be the answer. The firehawk will lose to the supra on the top end because the gearing on the supra is better......two gears instead of one for high speed runs. Only bad news is the governor. In addition, the reliability of the supra is hands down better while being easy to modify. That car could get into those bike like speeds down the quarter for a lot less money. Resale for the supra is also better. But good luck finding the right supra for the right money these days. You do have to get a car thats three years old while the firehawk is brand new and unabused. I hate writing against the firehawk because I love the car so much, but the toyota is a hell of a machine

Matt