Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

PontiacFan

Re: When is a Hawk not a Hawk #67

Post by PontiacFan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:57 am

And what's the car like today?!?

NBrehm

Re:

Post by NBrehm » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:02 am

Elizabeth M Harris wrote:When is a Hawk not a Hawk anymore?

There was another 1995 Firehawk that was for sale last year, that although it had a Firehawk VIN, was it really a Firehhawk? The front nose, fascia, and hood had been replaced with a 1997 version, and the engine had been replaced with a crate engine. It was repainted and it did not have the stylized Firehawk decals; instead it had some other script writing painted on it. Nor did it have the Firehawk wheels. This car had been in a minor wreck and had the engine blown too--contrary to the owner said--according to the auto guys I know who claim they are the one who repaired it.

IMHO, with all these changes and replacements, it might as well have been a 1995 Trans Am that was retrofitted. There was a guy Chad who attended the Firehawk Rally in 2003 who had a 1994, and he had replaced many of the body pieces with 1999 and above Firehawk nose, fascia, and hood, and he had painted it a magnificent pastel orange color. He explained to me that he couldn't afford a new Hawk, so he took and older one and updated it, doing the work himself. It was a bit awkward seeing that color, because we are not used to it, but with the original engine even if mods, to me it is still a Firehawk.
I agree with this mostly, in the end it is your car and yours to do with as you please, but to invest this money in a wrecked Firehawk and NOT make it original there are tons of cheaper/easier options to get you where you want to go. The only thing that makes a Hawk special is it's originality. Again, totally your car and I'm not here to tell you what to do, but if you go this route there is no longer any "Firehawk" value to the car.
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293