When is a Hawk not a Hawk #67

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

JBPOLK

When is a Hawk not a Hawk #67

Post by JBPOLK » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:42 pm

Scott Chab & Group how have you guys been doing. I haven't logged on here in the last two years ( I believe).
I am attempting to restore old #67 from an accident that I had two years ago.
Question: My Firehawk was rear-ended by a drunk driver back in 2003, but not "totalled". The car was taken by my former insurance company {Allstate "Watch those hands!} for repair; but the unit was returned completely screwed up. I had the unit towed (inoperative)from Allstate's shop to my garage. { Please watch out for Allstate Insurance in Delaware you wouldn't believe what happened to my unit.}
The hood was stolen by the repair shop, the "ram-air" hood was never replaced. With a claim that they could not find a comparable unit they instead replaced the hood, and fascia from a 95 Firebird. The rear window deck, and rear fascia is from a 96 Formula, but the rear lights are from a 97 Trans-Am. The unit was "pain-ted", and returned to me with a host of electrical damage unrepaired. I had the unit towed from Allstate's shop after it sat there for 5 months. She had been essentially "dead" since the accident in 2003, but I intend to restore it to some type of condition.
Rather than to 'down' the vehicle I am going to attempt to overhaul the unit myself using some new innovations in the process. I want to make up for the problems caused by the accident, and the incendental situation that my car is now 10 years or older since first sold.

What do you folks think about these suggested upgrades.
(1) I am rebuilding my LT-1 5.7Ltr mtr to essentially a "Stroked 396" with LT-4 GMPP intake, heads, e.t.c I call this a "LT-4+". I have not heard of this type of modification being commercially available, but it seems like a winner. I have new Opti-Spark, and have modified ignition system, and silicon cables. A high capacity radiator, water pump, and heater core was installed along with a new 160 deg. thermo with silicone heater hoses.
My computer (PCM) was bought new, but not yet re-programmed by LT-1.edit ; pending return of the engine from rebuilders.
I have 42 Lb. injectors, and a Bosch Racing Fuel Pump. My parts are GM Perf Pts. or or equivalent to LT-4 upgrade parts including Ross forged pistons, and a Lunati 3430 Crank.
(2) I have Hooker Short headers, and (1) High-Flow Cat Conv ( my OEM conv. was destroyed) piped to a Flowmaster 3" SS Cat-Back exhaust system.
(3) My original 1LE suspension is in good shape, but my Bilsteins are shot.
I am looking into replacing the Bilsteins with more economical KYB Shocks, and Struts is more to my pocketbook. Any one familiar with KYB they seem reasonably priced from J.C.Whitney.
I know this is a pretty long post, but I want to get started on this work pretty soon.
I can be reached directly at my e-mail address or
j.b.polk@att.net
Take it easy people. :?
1994 Formula FH, (Violet/Gray)
6.3Ltr Engine.
GM Performance Parts

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Glad you came back, but sorry to hear about the problems.

On your conversion, welcome to the 396 club! Chab has one as well. In your quest for power, I would recommend staying away from the LT4 cam as it won't help you make power with that combo. I have a buddy who built a 383 with LT4 heads, cam and intake and the cam is really preventing him from making decent power. I think it was designed more for a stock displacement engine.

Good luck

Matt

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:06 pm

Welcome back... sorry to hear about the problem with the Bird, sound like you've got your hands full.

As for the cam, I agree with Matt. The Hot Cam will never support the big flow numbers that a 396 is capable of.

I had a custom grind made - 224/233, 112 LSA, 108 Intake centerline,, 558 intake/575 exhaust, 3.75 degrees of overlap

It's a little on the mild side but I didn't want to worry about getting too close to the point of not being able to pass emissions.

As for your injectors, you will never need 42# units. I had 36# units installed in my motor and swapped them for 25s as soon as I got it home because it was running so rich. I'm sure they are close to being maxed out but I won't know until I get it dyno tuned. I think I might need 28-30s but nothing bigger.

I don't know what kind of power I'm putting out but I was able to hang right on the rear bumper of a blown LS1 SS until we shut down at around 120mph. :twisted: The guy said he should be putting out 460-470rwhp so I should be somewhere in that range.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

Elizabeth M Harris

Post by Elizabeth M Harris » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:33 am

When is a Hawk not a Hawk anymore?

There was another 1995 Firehawk that was for sale last year, that although it had a Firehawk VIN, was it really a Firehhawk? The front nose, fascia, and hood had been replaced with a 1997 version, and the engine had been replaced with a crate engine. It was repainted and it did not have the stylized Firehawk decals; instead it had some other script writing painted on it. Nor did it have the Firehawk wheels. This car had been in a minor wreck and had the engine blown too--contrary to the owner said--according to the auto guys I know who claim they are the one who repaired it.

IMHO, with all these changes and replacements, it might as well have been a 1995 Trans Am that was retrofitted. There was a guy Chad who attended the Firehawk Rally in 2003 who had a 1994, and he had replaced many of the body pieces with 1999 and above Firehawk nose, fascia, and hood, and he had painted it a magnificent pastel orange color. He explained to me that he couldn't afford a new Hawk, so he took and older one and updated it, doing the work himself. It was a bit awkward seeing that color, because we are not used to it, but with the original engine even if mods, to me it is still a Firehawk.
Elizabeth M. Harris
1999 Pewter Convertible #350

spoogen622

Post by spoogen622 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:18 pm

I agree that when you start changing wheels and the hood, ect off a Hawk then its kinda not really a hawk anymore. I mean isnt that why someone would a firehawk is for those features? I guess the only people that would care would be someone in the know, good thing theres not alot of those. :(

It kinda sux that you cant buy lt1 hawk Wheels and hoods anymore but I guess thats what you get when owning a "rare car"

JBPOLK

Post by JBPOLK » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:00 am

Thanks for all of the posts. I guess that I am going to just enjoy my "Pontiac" instead. I just read in an article from the Detroit Free Press that after "dismal" sales that what's left of Pontiac may be dropped.
Bob Lutz is being very coy about this, but I think is very plausable that either Pontiac or Olds may go in the next two years if thing do not improve.
BTW I just got back from the NY Auto Show at the Javits after taking a look at the new offerings. The GM display was very mediocore at best.
Those Chrysler offerings were a lot more sporty, and forward looking than most anything GM was offering. Chrysler seems to be adding power to any thing they make, even golf cars, and lawn mowers. They are putting "Hemi's" into everything.
8)
They got 350 Horse Power Ram-Trucks,300's, Magnums, Jeeps, Mini-Vans, Chain-Saws, Hedge Clippers, Lawnmowers, Can Openers they are not playing around this year.
6.3Ltr Engine.
GM Performance Parts

02hawk796

Post by 02hawk796 » Thu May 05, 2005 1:00 am

That pastel orange Hawk was #11, and last I checked there were still 3 pics of it in the gallery on this site, from that Rally.

Lutz has been trying to kill off Pontiac and Olds for a long time now. I've been explaining that to folks for awhile, but all said I was delusional.
Roger Smith tried to kill all GM muscle cars also, but have to give up in order to nurse his baby "Saturn" line.
I keep thinking that that new Mustang looks kinda nice, and I hear the engine bay was made big enough to fit in a decent engine like an LS1 - just think if a decent looking car like that had some power in it for once, maybe even a Hemi. I hear Ford's souped up versions finally top 300hp.
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #0796 BlackEbonyBlack 6-spd, WI Plate "OH2 HAWK"
GM: TCS, Hurst, 12CD, Last of the Breed
SLP: Bilstein, Chromes, Cover, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, Portfolio
SLP After: Skip-shift Eliminator, Customized Rear Deck Mat

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu May 05, 2005 7:39 am

02hawk796 wrote: I keep thinking that that new Mustang looks kinda nice, and I hear the engine bay was made big enough to fit in a decent engine like an LS1 - just think if a decent looking car like that had some power in it for once, maybe even a Hemi. I hear Ford's souped up versions finally top 300hp.
Why would you want to swap motors in a Mustang? There is more aftermarket support for them than any other car on the road right now. That's why Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford magazines are thicker than Summit and Jegs catalogs. (That also means the parts are cheaper)

The GT is at 300hp and it is the highest HP rating the GT has ever had. Can't wait to see what the Corba puts out.
'94 Hawk #110

WS6RAMAIR

Post by WS6RAMAIR » Thu May 05, 2005 12:11 pm

Scott Chab wrote:
02hawk796 wrote: I keep thinking that that new Mustang looks kinda nice, and I hear the engine bay was made big enough to fit in a decent engine like an LS1 - just think if a decent looking car like that had some power in it for once, maybe even a Hemi. I hear Ford's souped up versions finally top 300hp.
Why would you want to swap motors in a Mustang? There is more aftermarket support for them than any other car on the road right now. That's why Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford magazines are thicker than Summit and Jegs catalogs. (That also means the parts are cheaper)

The GT is at 300hp and it is the highest HP rating the GT has ever had. Can't wait to see what the Corba puts out.
450-hp out of a 5.4 Supercharged powerplant

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu May 05, 2005 1:04 pm

Firehawk427 wrote:
Scott Chab wrote:

450-hp out of a 5.4 Supercharged powerplant
That is what the GT500 is supposed to put out.
'94 Hawk #110

WS6RAMAIR

Post by WS6RAMAIR » Thu May 05, 2005 1:13 pm

I though the Cobra is the GT500?

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu May 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Firehawk427 wrote:I though the Cobra is the GT500?
You're right... I had a brain fart. :?

'94 Hawk #110

WS6RAMAIR

Post by WS6RAMAIR » Thu May 05, 2005 5:59 pm

lol... yup, had some of them before too.

FIRSTLAST

Post by FIRSTLAST » Sun May 08, 2005 8:30 am

SLP used to advise people to select Koni suspension for racing, and Bilstein for street ride. I lowered a Z car 1" and installed Konis and thought the ride harsh.

JBPOLK

Re: When is a Hawk not a Hawk #67

Post by JBPOLK » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Wow. This was posted almost 10 years ago.
Still in the game, but just logged back after several years.
6.3Ltr Engine.
GM Performance Parts