Front plate woes : alter. location??

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

cdnhawk

Front plate woes : alter. location??

Post by cdnhawk » Tue May 16, 2006 1:21 pm

HI all,

Just wondering if any fellow hawk drivers have any good suggestion for front plate location?? Without removing front insert of course. :lol:

Want to avoid any tickets, I was idea I had was to move to another state or province that doesn't require the front plate.

Any ideas would be of helpful.

Cheers!

Jay
2002 Firehawk Convert. Silver -No MOds yet-
C010 :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2195327

Sideshow

Post by Sideshow » Tue May 16, 2006 3:22 pm

One idea would be to mount it on the air dam/deflector underneath the front bumper. A friend of mine has done this with his Camaro SS.

Another would be to fashion a bracket for underneath the front bumper that wouldn't be quite a far back as the air dam.

I'm also not sure what attitude the authorites there have towards the front plates, but at times (even though the law here says I need to display it) I've simply drove around with it covered. I'm always ready with the excuse that I recently was showing the car at some event or function and simply forgot to remove the cover. :wink:
2001 NBM T/A Firehawk Convertible
All GM options, MN6
SLP options - Bilstein, Auburn, Chrome Wheels, Cover, Portfolio, Personalized Mat
Custom FRC's & head plate
, DG SFC's & STB, Loudmouth II

99Hawk325

Post by 99Hawk325 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:25 pm

I used to drive around with my plate on the dash facing out the windshield but occassionally it would come loose and fly around the car so I ended up mounting it where it went.

Tom

Ashman

Post by Ashman » Wed May 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Mount it on the passenger side sunvisor and flip it down to show it from the front. Seems to work nice. You can use rubber bands to hold it into place.
91BLUECAMARO-94BLKZ-97BLKT/A-98WHTWS6-99REDT/A-89WHTGTA-97BLUET/A

02hawk943

Post by 02hawk943 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:36 pm

get one of these.....afterthoughtsauto.com its the exact same mold but clear. after $155 worth of front plate tickets i had to do something.

2002 Trans Am Firehawk #0943
Artic White M6 IROC Spoiler
SLP LT's,Y, Loudmouth, Clutch, SFC's, Torque Arm, Flo-Pac, 160 t'stat, !CAGS!
Baer Eradispeed Rotors w/ Hawk Pads, BMR STB
Lots More....

02hawk796

Post by 02hawk796 » Tue May 23, 2006 5:11 am

try checking the plate relocator bracket here, I cannot check the info at work.

http://www.tandaperformance.com
2002 T/A Firehawk Convertible #0796 BlackEbonyBlack 6-spd, WI Plate "OH2 HAWK"
GM: TCS, Hurst, 12CD, Last of the Breed
SLP: Bilstein, Chromes, Cover, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat, Portfolio
SLP After: Skip-shift Eliminator, Customized Rear Deck Mat

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:05 pm

Hey guys,

I just got a ticket for not having my front plate on... Cop was looking for something...he had nothing better to do. Anyway...I just checked out that clear license plate cover. Very cool. But isn't there a need to mount bolts for the front plate? Is there a special way to do it, or does someone have to do it?

DB :twisted:

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Dirty Bird wrote: But isn't there a need to mount bolts for the front plate? Is there a special way to do it, or does someone have to do it?

Not sure what bolts you are referring to, ..., but the bolts that hold that clear front plate on there, are at the bottom left/right. Original equipment location for the stock Firebird front pheonix plate.
The holes for the bolts for the license plates are already there also.
Just bolt on your license plate, then bolt on the clear plate.

If you are referring to the bolts on the front air dam under the car, you will simply have to drill some holes & bolt it on your self.

Explain your question a bit better if this doesn't cover it, ...

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:25 am

Yeah, I was wondering if there was a mount for the license plate, under the logo piece. I pulled part of the log from the front of my TA, but didn't see any holes or anything that would mount the front license plate. I'll take another look.

Thanks!

02 BlackHawk

Re: Front plate woes : alter. location??

Post by 02 BlackHawk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:24 pm

cdnhawk wrote:HI all,

Just wondering if any fellow hawk drivers have any good suggestion for front plate location?? Without removing front insert of course. :lol:

Want to avoid any tickets, I was idea I had was to move to another state or province that doesn't require the front plate.

Any ideas would be of helpful.

Cheers!

Jay
As 02hawk943 said, try the clear front plate cover from Afterthoughts Auto http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ponfirclearl.html

I've had one on my Hawk for over 4 years now http://www.2002firehawk-c26.net/02HawkC ... C02620.JPG

It's a little pricy but still cheaper than a no front plate ticket in Ontario.

Steve
2010 SC572 Callaway Camaro SS
2002 Trans Am Firehawk #C026 (SOLD)

Black Robe

A different approach...

Post by Black Robe » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:00 am

Go to the wrecking yard; find a 91-96 Caprice/Impala; remove the rear lic plate bracket; flip it around so that the mount bolts for the bracket are going up into the front fascia, as far back as possible; screws or nuts/bolts will attach it. Now install your plate. When you want the "no-plate look", just tap the plate with your toe and it will tuck up completely out of sight. When the cops ask where it is, flip it down, and the spring will hold it there.

"Takes Bow Now..." 8)
'01 Bright Red w/Black #C04 M6 Convertible
All GM Options, All SLP Options (Bilstein)

'82 Trans Am CACC/SCCA GT1 Road Racer

PontiacFan

Re: A different approach...

Post by PontiacFan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:22 am

Black Robe wrote:When you want the "no-plate look", just tap the plate with your toe and it will tuck up completely out of sight. When the cops ask where it is, flip it down, and the spring will hold it there.
:cool: Cool idea, ..., but when it is in the down position & you cruise down the highway, it will probably retract up, won't it?!?

(I know a guy who made his own retractable front plate for his Camaro, powered & everything, ..., hides up under the frontal area, above the grille. Push a button & it comes down over the grille. Yes you have to cut a slot above the grille, but it's not visible unless you bend over to look up there. I'm trying to get him to make some more as I think we can sell a ton of them!)

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:27 pm

I would totally buy something like that! I send an e-mail out to West Coast Customs to see if that was something they would, but haven't heard back. It reminds me of an old Knight Rider episode where his rear license plate revolved and another was displayed. The only thing is that with the plate on the front, I still have to remove the logo nose insert.

I do like the cover that has been discussed here, any ideas on giving it a smokey coloring to it? Not so dark that the cops say "No", but something that isn't so eye distracting.

Last edited by Dirty Bird on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Garnermike

Post by Garnermike » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:14 pm

I have always felt that a front tag destroyed the aethetics/lines of what is a beautiful car--the Firehawk. From delivery through July 2006, while living in NY (a state that requires a front tag), I refused to sport a front tag. I decided I'd just put away $100/yr. to pay for any ticket.

I got a ticket and paid the $100 the very first year (actually, got it the very first long drive I took in the new Hawk in 2002!). Was never bothered again from 2002 - 2006.

Now living in NC, a front tag is not required, and I can drive around being totally carefree, and can put the $100 toward my car insurance (which is also a lot less than I paid for insurance in NY!).
2002 Formula Firehawk, #738, red/ebony, MN6/Hurst, T-tops, chrome wheels, Bilstein suspension. Mods: SLP y-pipe and LoudmouthII exhaust, air temp sensor, Clarion subwoofer, Gorilla lugnuts, BMR strut tower brace, Lou's ShortStik