Speakers?

Anything Goes (within reason)

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Hawk85

Speakers?

Post by Hawk85 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:17 pm

I have now successfully destroyed (mostly by allowing them to dry-rot in the garage) every last one of the original Monsoon speakers in my Hawk.

I have been looking at various brands and styles, and have not decided what I want to replace them with. I can't even find all of the measurements for the speakers (10 speaker system). I replaced the factory radio a while back with a really nice Clarion head unit (mainly because it was one of the few I could find at the time that had a red/orange display to match the interior lights).

Any suggestions? Preferably good quality, not too expensive (as young son number two will be arriving any day now causing funds to be a little short...)

Thanks,

Maverick
1994 Hawk #085
1994 Firehawk #085

TransAmer99

Re: Speakers?

Post by TransAmer99 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm

More than likely, the Clarion unit blew out the speakers. The Monsoon Audio system drives 2-ohm speakers at 500 watts. Depending on the step-voltage and wattage output of the aftermarket head unit, you could be in real trouble if you keep the factory speakers. Most speakers and aftermarket head units are rated for either 4 or 8 ohms.

Let us know what you discover regarding the speaker sizes, as I am facing a similar delimma! :roll:

The science behind matching speakers and head units (in case you cared):

Ohms law maintains a relationship between step-voltage, amps, ohms (resistance) and watts. We all know that the Monsoon system delivers 500 watts of sound at 2 ohms. An online Ohm’s Law Calculator (see link) gives us the details. If you plug in any two known variables (in this case, the ohms & watts), it will show you the rest.

Volts-Amps-Ohms-Watts
31.6 - 15.8 - 2 - 500
44.7 - 11.2 - 4 - 500
63.2 - 07.9 - 8 - 500

so we see that the Monsoon head unit has to generate a step-voltage of 31.6. To drive an 8 ohm speaker at 500 watts requires an aftermarket head unit (or amp) with a step voltage of 63.2. If we reload the calculator with 63.2 volts into a 2-ohm speaker (and then 44.7 volts into 2-ohms), we see how easy it is to grenade the whole system:

63.2 - 31.6 - 2 - 1997 WATTS! (overdriven by a factor of 4)
44.7 - 22.3 - 2 - 0999 WATTS! (overdriven by a factor of 2)

Online Ohm's Law Calculator --> http://www.angelfire.com/pa/baconbacon/page2.html

Hawk85

Post by Hawk85 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Well, most of them were in pretty bad shape before I replaced the head unit. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the new head unit was completely innocent in the demise of the remaining speakers.

I had heard before (somewhere) that when replacing the Monsoon system, it was an all or nothing type scenerio. If I remember correctly, there is an amp that was part of the Monsoon system somewhere that the original head unit plugged into. From there, the rest of the speakers plugged into the amp.

I figure when I replace the speakers, I will bypass (or remove completely) the amp being used by Monsoon.

It is unfortunate that the Monsoon speakers are way too expensive. You can get speakers that are twice as good for half the price. Good Marketing Monsoon!!

Thanks for the response. When I replace the speakers in there entirity, I will definately post the dimensions of the 10 speakers.
1994 Firehawk #085

Chuck Stong

Post by Chuck Stong » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:28 am

Door and b pillar woofers are 6.5", rear are 4" and the tweets I am not sure.
Chuck Stong
94 #307, 383 setup for roadracing and with an audiophile quality sound system