Convoys to the Norwalk Firehawk Rally

Talk about up coming Rallies, Fests & other events.

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Scott S

Post by Scott S » Thu May 27, 2004 11:12 pm

DraganHawk wrote:Firehawk rally?
When did this start?

Can't wait to meet Chris, Matt, and this Scott guy :P
I'm going incognito this year now that I know you're going.

Maplehawk

Post by Maplehawk » Fri May 28, 2004 4:05 pm

Looks like Friday morning southbound from Toronto - Any other Canucks or meet up near Niagra?
Mac Logan
1992 Firehawk #05
1995 Firehawk #C04
2018 Mercedes-Benz C300 Wagon
Proud Member - Firehawk Association of America
Author of Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds

joe chen

Post by joe chen » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:38 pm

I'll be going to Norwalk from Markham, Ontario.
Joseph Chen
99 + 01 Firehawk

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:23 pm

Here's an idea to kick around........

What if we changed the route for the convoy to avoid the whole I90 and I94 NE Illinois and NW Indiana back-up problem associated with traveling through there on Fridays. Yesterday they had a 20 mile back-up on that stretch of highway. And, yes it was a Friday back-up. What if we took off on I80 and hooked up to Hwy 30 and went through Fort Wayne and up from there back to the toll roads and into Norwalk? It does add close to 50 miles to the trek and will take longer if we travel at the lower limits :wink: but it will be a nice change. Just a thought I was kicking around after hearing about the 20 mile back-up there yesterday. I know Brian will like it and we can still hook up to most of the guys (Mac and the rest) coming down from the north.

Ultimately it will be up to Matt, but I was just curious what others think. It might be nice change of pace?????

Bob
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:50 pm

Bob,

Great idea, although I would like to see how it plays out in the next month to see if it stays that way.

My big concern is time delay for those we are meeting up with later in the day and their desire to get to Norwalk. Some people delay their trip to join the convoy. Would alternate routes such as Hwy 6 east and back up to South Bend be any better time/distance wise?

I still need to work on the map a little more and see where everyone gets picked up at to make a final decision. I was also informed that the rest stop just east of Toledo is under construction and not accessible, so the thoughts of picking up the final group there aren't very good.

Matt

FIRSTLAST

Post by FIRSTLAST » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:18 am

I'll be joining Friday morning early at motel parking lot. Will come rested this time so you don't have to provide a driver for my car. LOL.

Can't wait to hear that roar out of Chicago.

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:52 pm

Matt,

Logistically this may be a nightmare with all the people who join up enroute and everything else. I have some Rand McNally software on the computer and just ran a few numbers before my last post. Hwy 30 from I-57 to I-69 adds 51 miles to the trip over the toll roads. It might be a better alternative to take I-57 to Hwy 30 and then grab Hwy 6 somewhere further east. It will add mileage but then again it will give us some different roads to travel on and avoid a lot of traffic at the same time. Another big concern is construction zones. Which way would be worse for construction back-ups????
Bob
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

Scott S

Post by Scott S » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:16 pm

I'm all for finding a way to bypass that 80/94 clusterfudge, even if it adds time and miles. Unfortuntaely, there aren't an abundance of E-W routes south of the metro area.

Formula White Hawk

Post by Formula White Hawk » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:56 pm

Taking 30 from the Chicago area is an excellent route. Let me know if you decide to come through Fort Wayne (I live there and would join the convoy). By the way from Fort Wayne you would take 24 to route 6 and pick up 80 around Fremont Ohio.

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:42 am

Formula White Hawk wrote:Taking 30 from the Chicago area is an excellent route. Let me know if you decide to come through Fort Wayne (I live there and would join the convoy). By the way from Fort Wayne you would take 24 to route 6 and pick up 80 around Fremont Ohio.
Send me an email and I'll add you to the convoy email list. :)

Matt

Firehawk

Post by Firehawk » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:43 pm

Formula White Hawk wrote:Taking 30 from the Chicago area is an excellent route. Let me know if you decide to come through Fort Wayne (I live there and would join the convoy). By the way from Fort Wayne you would take 24 to route 6 and pick up 80 around Fremont Ohio.
Want to hook up on the convoy up to the toll road? I will be up from indy to pick up the car and head to the convoy.

Brian

blkhwk55

Post by blkhwk55 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi guys,

I've been off-line for awhile, but back on now. Of course, Sue and I are interested in joining the convoy to Norwalk. Last year we met up with you at that truckstop/gas station near the junction of the 69 and the 80.

Are we meeting there again? Or does a new place work out better?

Also, we made our reservation at the hotel, but, forgive my ignorance- does that automatically register us for the rally? I can't remember how things worked last year.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to seeing you all.

Dave Harvey
blkhwk55

Maplehawk

Post by Maplehawk » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:36 am

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you are coming and planning on convoying again.

You need to register for the rally seperately. The next newsletter will be out this coming week with full details.

The raffle ticket info will be in there too.
Mac Logan
1992 Firehawk #05
1995 Firehawk #C04

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:36 pm

blkhwk55 wrote:Hi guys,

I've been off-line for awhile, but back on now. Of course, Sue and I are interested in joining the convoy to Norwalk. Last year we met up with you at that truckstop/gas station near the junction of the 69 and the 80.

Are we meeting there again? Or does a new place work out better?

Also, we made our reservation at the hotel, but, forgive my ignorance- does that automatically register us for the rally? I can't remember how things worked last year.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to seeing you all.

Dave Harvey
Dave,

I'll send out an updated email with meeting spots for everyone along the way. I'm holding out a little longer this year due to all the construction on I-80.

Matt

Maplehawk

Post by Maplehawk » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Looks like Tom and I will come down via Detroit and Toledo and hook up as the Camera car again. We have a GTP lined up to drive.

Joe Chen was the only Ontario Hawk I could find to start something from Toronto. Hope he will tag along to Toledo.

Mac
Mac Logan
1992 Firehawk #05
1995 Firehawk #C04