'97 Camaro SS in Virginia...

Got something to sell (car related, please)? List it here!

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Scott Chab

'97 Camaro SS in Virginia...

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am

'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

Firebrian

Re: '97 Camaro SS in Virginia...

Post by Firebrian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

You must have cash (or certified check) to be able to even drive this car (and I WILL be driving it first, then you drive, no other passengers) This is no toy car. So be smart, mature and know beforehand ok?

$5500 sounds sort of cheap for a 67K mile car that was babied by its only owner. But I think the requirement to show up with a wad of cash in your pocket (or certified check) just to test drive it will eliminate a large % serious potential buyers, at least most of the ones who are more than 45 min away.

hawk424

Post by hawk424 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Man a little uptight aren't we.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Firebrian wrote:You must have cash (or certified check) to be able to even drive this car (and I WILL be driving it first, then you drive, no other passengers) This is no toy car. So be smart, mature and know beforehand ok?

$5500 sounds sort of cheap for a 67K mile car that was babied by its only owner. But I think the requirement to show up with a wad of cash in your pocket (or certified check) just to test drive it will eliminate a large % serious potential buyers, at least most of the ones who are more than 45 min away.
How about if you go look at it, take a ride and if you're interested, go get the cash and then drive/buy it?

Going over 45 minutes is nothing to go look at a car. I have a friend who was looking for a '69 Camaro and flew to Florida, Ohio and drove to North Carolina and came back home without a car.
'94 Hawk #110

VBACHAWK

Post by VBACHAWK » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 pm

In Longmont, CO we have a "used" car dealer with all sorts of high performance vehicles (lotsa Corvettes), and before you can test drive any car, they run your credit. While I understand the process here, a 97 Camaro with an LT1 engine is nuts to require pre-payment on a car that's going to need to switch out the engine soon, anyway. Right, Blackhawk ????? OK, I'm a little singed and skeptical, but this guy is just a tad OCD. Jeeze........it's not like it's a Firehawk..............@@

Pam
Whose 2nd LT1 engine has gone months without needing repair...........dare I say it

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

VBACHAWK wrote:In Longmont, CO we have a "used" car dealer with all sorts of high performance vehicles (lotsa Corvettes), and before you can test drive any car, they run your credit. While I understand the process here, a 97 Camaro with an LT1 engine is nuts to require pre-payment on a car that's going to need to switch out the engine soon, anyway. Right, Blackhawk ????? OK, I'm a little singed and skeptical, but this guy is just a tad OCD. Jeeze........it's not like it's a Firehawk..............@@

Pam
Whose 2nd LT1 engine has gone months without needing repair...........dare I say it
I know the car and it is nice. Worth every bit of what he is asking for it.

As for the financial piece, his car his rules. I just have to throw in that I would NEVER go to look at a car, being sold by a dealership or by owner, with a bunch of cash in my pocket. If I was interested in it, I would call the seller, set up an appointment for a ride and then I would decided if I wanted to buy the car after that.

His SS is like a Firehawk with the Chevy option. Ram air hood, modified air intake, suspension, wheels, tires and exhaust. (maybe shifter?)

Just sayin'.
'94 Hawk #110

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

How about if you go look at it, take a ride and if you're interested, go get the cash and then drive/buy it? Going over 45 minutes is nothing to go look at a car. I have a friend who was looking for a '69 Camaro and flew to Florida, Ohio and drove to North Carolina and came back home without a car.
It has nothing to do whether the car is nice or worth the money. It's probably worth the money. Just the seller's approach. And that I can do without. There's always another deal out there if you wait and look. There are too many other cars out there with motivated sellers than to deal with this kind of stuff. I logged thousands of miles tracking down 1960's muscle Mopars from 1992-2004 so I've paid my dues and learned my lessons in going to buy collector cars. In that time I called on hundreds of cars, looked at about 50 and ended up buying 10. The longest drive I took and came back empty was 600 miles to Montreal, Canada....and me and my buddy each had cash in our pocket to buy the car if necessary (a restored 68 GTX convertible). Life's too short to have to jump through needless hoops. For the right FH I was willing to drive up to 350 miles to go see it. But I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes to see this particular seller's car. His rules won't sit well with everyone. He probably knows that going in. In responding to so many car ads over the past 20 years, this was the first time I had ever seen anything like this. I wish the seller the best of luck though.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:28 am

Firebrian wrote:
How about if you go look at it, take a ride and if you're interested, go get the cash and then drive/buy it? Going over 45 minutes is nothing to go look at a car. I have a friend who was looking for a '69 Camaro and flew to Florida, Ohio and drove to North Carolina and came back home without a car.
It has nothing to do whether the car is nice or worth the money. It's probably worth the money. Just the seller's approach. And that I can do without. There's always another deal out there if you wait and look. There are too many other cars out there with motivated sellers than to deal with this kind of stuff. I logged thousands of miles tracking down 1960's muscle Mopars from 1992-2004 so I've paid my dues and learned my lessons in going to buy collector cars. In that time I called on hundreds of cars, looked at about 50 and ended up buying 10. The longest drive I took and came back empty was 600 miles to Montreal, Canada....and me and my buddy each had cash in our pocket to buy the car if necessary (a restored 68 GTX convertible). Life's too short to have to jump through needless hoops. For the right FH I was willing to drive up to 350 miles to go see it. But I wouldn't drive more than 45 minutes to see this particular seller's car. His rules won't sit well with everyone. He probably knows that going in. In responding to so many car ads over the past 20 years, this was the first time I had ever seen anything like this. I wish the seller the best of luck though.
The car is already sold so I guess he knew what he was doing.
'94 Hawk #110