New owner with a couple of questions

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Hawk645

New owner with a couple of questions

Post by Hawk645 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello all!

New Firehawk owner here, but I am not new to Trans Ams. Just picked the car up a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't you know, we already got snow and now salt on the roads. I have a couple of questions about my Firehawk.

1) The passenger door will need a minor repair and paint. The rear bumper will need to be painted as well. Does anyone sell the correct Firehawk decals any longer? I called SLP after buying the car and they told me that they had a fire years ago and had no more stock. They also indicated that the repops sold by PG were not correct. My car is silver so my decals are red/charcoal. Any source for these?

2) The left headlamp assembly is loose. It moves up and down a bit if you grab it with the light in the down position. If the lights are up, it is rigid and won't move. The slack seems to be in the arm that lifts the assembly. Any insight into this issue? The car has 65K miles on it. I also own a '99 30th anniversary and it does not have this issue.

3) My Firehawk mat that is in the back of the car is mostly a blue color. My floor mats are gray and my interior is black. Did they make a mat in that color or is that the gray that has sunfaded? The center area where the Firehawk name is embroidered is still gray.

PontiacFan

Re: New owner with a couple of questions

Post by PontiacFan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Congratulations on the new toy, & Welcome a’board’, ...
What year & car #?

1) Check your messages for decal info.

2) Read up on headlight gears. Might be best to do the brass gear replacement, or buy new/used motors.
Make sure it’s not just a loose screw in the cover.

3) Check deck mat has faded, like most of them.
Hard to find a good one for sale anymore.
There was a person selling aftermarket ones a few months ago, ..., but not sure what ever happened to them.

Hawk645

Post by Hawk645 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks, car is a 2002, silver M6 Trans Am number 645. It is registered on this site under the original owner. Well optioned but has the usual issues. Both door panels are cracked and the chrome wheels are peeling.

1) Got it, thanks!

2) The headlight motor seems tight, slack seems to be in that arm that bends.

3) Kind of figured that.

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:24 pm

For the headlamp motor there are multiple white plastic adjusters that look like a small hex head screw. Adjust them out until they touch the assembly metal pieces and it should fix your shake issue, assuming it is not the gear. I covered some of it when I just changed out one of my housings and wrote it up here.
http://messageboard.firehawk.org/viewto ... 1&start=30
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

Hawk645

Post by Hawk645 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:31 am

Ok, I will check that out when I get home Sunday. Been at SEMA all week. I am sure it is not the gear as it is the hinged arm that moves and it only does it when the headlights are in the closed position. In the raised position, all is tight. Being as the assembly has been loose, the headlight cover has worn into the paint on the bumper cover. I have the cover, bezels and headlights out so it is easy to see where the problem is.