WINTER STORAGE

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

TOM BLAKLEY

WINTER STORAGE

Post by TOM BLAKLEY » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 pm

GETTING READY TO PUT MY 95 HAWK UP FOR THE WINTER,WOULD LIKE TO PUT IT UP ON JACKS STANDS,ANY THING SPECIAL I SHOULD KNOW ON POSITION OF JACKS STANDS.

BLACK-HAWK

Re: WINTER STORAGE

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:01 pm

make sure the stands are under the car before lowering the jack... :lol:

i have the rear stands on the rear end housing next to where the shocks mount to. fronts are on the sub frame...
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am

Just curious... why do you want to put the car up on stands?

Also, typing in all caps means that you are yelling.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Keep the tires from getting flat spots and take a load off the suspension??? Maybe???
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:31 pm

HawkLT1 wrote:Keep the tires from getting flat spots and take a load off the suspension??? Maybe???
Flat spots (permanent anyway) went out with bias ply tires. I've stored my Hawk for 7-8 months at a time and never had problems.

What is the benefit of taking the load off of the suspension? Again, I've never put my car up on stands when stored and never had a problem.
'94 Hawk #110

HawkLT1

Post by HawkLT1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Wow, cuz that's really wierd, when I wouldn't drive the 'Hawk or move it for extended periods of time I would swear that the "thump, thump, thumping" from the tires was from the flat spots. It would go away after awhile, so it was not permanent, but it was definitely there and I don't think I ever had bias ply tires on the Firehawk. To me it just not a big deal to put the car up on blocks to prevent any unforseen things happening to the car. Kind of like the chicken soup for a cold. What harm does it do? If it makes you feel better about doing something for the car then it's OK, at least in my book.
Bob Deffenbaugh -
Originator of the west coast "FirehawkFest"
Board Moderator
Ex-Double Firehawk Owner
1993 #110 and 2002 #104

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm not saying that it will hurt to put the car up on stands for the winter, just saying that I don't think it's necessary. It would be like changing synthetic oil every 2000 miles.

As far as taking pressure off of the suspension, there are plenty of 10, 15, 20+ year old cars on the road that have never been up on stands and they are fine.

To each his own.
Last edited by Scott Chab on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Hawk #110

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:34 pm

i'm with scott on this one but what's considered an extended period of time?
2001#194 (Unicorn)

karl_2

Post by karl_2 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:43 am

In winters, Self storage in Lawnton is providing customers with great deals and services. I want to know the updates prices. Please help me!

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 pm

I don't think it is good for the suspension to be unloaded for extended periods of time.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see the date on this!
Last edited by zmaro on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'01 Formula Hardtop

Mattie

Post by Mattie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Looks like this thread got revived by spam - anyway......

I've got mine up on castered floor rollers. Hopefully avoid any tire issues altogether.

mattie

2000 T/A Firehawk #C15
Black, T-tops, 6spd.

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Scott Chab wrote:I'm not saying that it will hurt to put the car up on stands for the winter, just saying that I don't think it's necessary. It would be like changing synthetic oil every 2000 miles.

As far as taking pressure off of the suspension, there are plenty of 10, 15, 20+ year old cars on the road that have never been up on stands and they are fine. To each his own.
Winter storage is always a timely issue. Should be brought up every winter. No expert here but we've all run across different things.

One could avoid any thought of flat spots by leaving the car in neutral and blocking the wheels. Every couple of weeks (or once a month) move the car forwards or backwards a foot. A better alternative is to actually drive the car at least once a month in the winter to move the fluids around to relube metal and soft parts. If concerned about a dry/cold start one could always preheat the oil, etc. I just find it simpler to take the car out for 10-12 miles during those precious few days each month where the salt, snow, etc. is off the roads. But, if you live in New Hampshire, North Dakota, Canada, etc. you probably don't have that option. I'm much more concerned about the car's mechanicals sitting unused for 4-6 months at a time than tires getting flat spots. And if the car is on jacks, it's probably being laid up for 4-5 months. My 1969 Dodge Super Bee was never on jacks for a winter in its life. When I sold it in 1997 it had 28 years sitting on that original suspension and was just fine (some shocks still were orig). I'm sure with it being 45 years old today it still hasn't spent a winter up on jacks. If you have to use jack stands fully cushion the jack head so you don't crease the frame. One good crease and the mobile jack stands won't look near as good to you. Pump the tires up to 38-40 psi. Less likely to get a flat spot at higher pressures. And during storage you'll lose air pressure any ways.

As far as it being unnecessary to change synthetic fluid every 2000 miles, that's dependent on the time frame as well. I don't put 2,000 miles in a year on my car yet I still feel it's proper to change the Mobil 1 synthetic twice a year. I know a lot of people prefer once per year. Oil degrades from various factors, even just sitting in your car. I change the oil in late November before the cold weather hits. Then change it again in May in preparation for the summer season. The oil is probably not very dirty by April with only a few hundred miles on it but it has sat for 6 months. After a summer's worth of driving (>1000 miles) there are plenty of contaminants in the oil such as acids, fuel residue, etc. I'd rather not have those sitting stagnant in the engine from Dec-March. Oil changed at $38 twice per year seems like cheap insurance for the life blood of the car's engine. I do those oil changes myself to ensure it gets done right (oil filter full before installing, right amount of fluid, right type of fluid, all the oil fluid removed - or best you can do, etc.). Checked with the Mobil website and they state oil shelf of 5 years for sealed containers.

snivley

Post by snivley » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Don't understand why when someone asks a question here, they get chastised. If the guy wants to put his car on stands, so be it. If you don't, don't. Just answer the question and keep the sarcasm to yourself. I put mine up, so what?

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:34 am

Don't understand why when someone asks a question here, they get chastised.
sometimes I wish I were a robot...
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 am

snivley wrote:Don't understand why when someone asks a question here, they get chastised. If the guy wants to put his car on stands, so be it. If you don't, don't. Just answer the question and keep the sarcasm to yourself. I put mine up, so what?
Who got chastised? :?
'94 Hawk #110