LT-1 decided to blow up so...

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

97Hawk

LT-1 decided to blow up so...

Post by 97Hawk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 am

Always loved this site but never had a burning question until now, my 97' Firehawk with the factory LT-1 decided its crankshaft was bad now my oil looks like a starry night, instead of a rebuild of a motor that has close to 175,000 miles I wanted to replace it. My question being how much of a hassle is it to put in a newer LS1 motor(not a crate motor but a lower mileage used one, maybe out of a early 2000's vette, camaro, T/A etc.) in the firehawk? Worth the effort or should I just stick to finding a rebuild LT1? Thanks for the feedback! Also money is a factor in the decision so if it would be way, way cheaper to stick with the LT1 that might be a determining factor.

Scott Chab

Re: LT-1 decided to blow up so...

Post by Scott Chab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am

It would be significantly cheaper to stick with an LT1.

Check out http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html they have everything from stock shortblock replacements to 550hp 396 longblocks.
Last edited by Scott Chab on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 am

bore it & stroke it!!!!!!!!!! 383!!!!!! :naughty:
2001#194 (Unicorn)

97Hawk

Post by 97Hawk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Hahaha thanks guys I will look into that site!

Ratchet831

Post by Ratchet831 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:24 pm

97Hawk wrote:Always loved this site but never had a burning question until now, my 97' Firehawk with the factory LT-1 decided its crankshaft was bad now my oil looks like a starry night, instead of a rebuild of a motor that has close to 175,000 miles I wanted to replace it. My question being how much of a hassle is it to put in a newer LS1 motor(not a crate motor but a lower mileage used one, maybe out of a early 2000's vette, camaro, T/A etc.) in the firehawk? Worth the effort or should I just stick to finding a rebuild LT1? Thanks for the feedback! Also money is a factor in the decision so if it would be way, way cheaper to stick with the LT1 that might be a determining factor.
Long term, you would be better going with an LS1. The LT1 was only produced for 5 years and is just different enough that most Gen I/SBC stuff won't fit it. And dollar for dollar, any mod you do to an LT1, the same mod will typically yield more power. I have a 97 Trans Am that if and when the LT1 goes I plan on swapping to LS1. Starting to collect the parts now (LS1 k-member, LS1 wiring harness, LS1 ECU, etc).

97Hawk

Post by 97Hawk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Ratchet831 wrote:
97Hawk wrote:Always loved this site but never had a burning question until now, my 97' Firehawk with the factory LT-1 decided its crankshaft was bad now my oil looks like a starry night, instead of a rebuild of a motor that has close to 175,000 miles I wanted to replace it. My question being how much of a hassle is it to put in a newer LS1 motor(not a crate motor but a lower mileage used one, maybe out of a early 2000's vette, camaro, T/A etc.) in the firehawk? Worth the effort or should I just stick to finding a rebuild LT1? Thanks for the feedback! Also money is a factor in the decision so if it would be way, way cheaper to stick with the LT1 that might be a determining factor.
Long term, you would be better going with an LS1. The LT1 was only produced for 5 years and is just different enough that most Gen I/SBC stuff won't fit it. And dollar for dollar, any mod you do to an LT1, the same mod will typically yield more power. I have a 97 Trans Am that if and when the LT1 goes I plan on swapping to LS1. Starting to collect the parts now (LS1 k-member, LS1 wiring harness, LS1 ECU, etc).
Yeah I have heard that a couple times, is there a list somewhere of all the parts necessary to make the switch? Maybe I should look for a junked 'Vette and just yank all the components out of it....The prices of rebuilt LT1's seem relatively high, $3k for the block with pistons and cam and then you still need to purchase everything else. Not to mention installation, I guess I should start calling local scrappers out here on the Wet Coast :wink:

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Here is a list of what you'll need but I doubt it is complete. IMHO it is going to be a royal PITA to swap in an LS1.

http://www.theformulasource.com/forums/ ... opic=14723
'94 Hawk #110

Ratchet831

Post by Ratchet831 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:21 pm

97Hawk wrote:
Ratchet831 wrote:
Yeah I have heard that a couple times, is there a list somewhere of all the parts necessary to make the switch? Maybe I should look for a junked 'Vette and just yank all the components out of it....The prices of rebuilt LT1's seem relatively high, $3k for the block with pistons and cam and then you still need to purchase everything else. Not to mention installation, I guess I should start calling local scrappers out here on the Wet Coast :wink:
Do you have an auto or 6 speed?

97Hawk

Post by 97Hawk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Long term, you would be better going with an LS1. The LT1 was only produced for 5 years and is just different enough that most Gen I/SBC stuff won't fit it. And dollar for dollar, any mod you do to an LT1, the same mod will typically yield more power. I have a 97 Trans Am that if and when the LT1 goes I plan on swapping to LS1. Starting to collect the parts now (LS1 k-member, LS1 wiring harness, LS1 ECU, etc).[/quote]

Yeah I have heard that a couple times, is there a list somewhere of all the parts necessary to make the switch? Maybe I should look for a junked 'Vette and just yank all the components out of it....The prices of rebuilt LT1's seem relatively high, $3k for the block with pistons and cam and then you still need to purchase everything else. Not to mention installation, I guess I should start calling local scrappers out here on the Wet Coast :wink:[/quote]

Do you have an auto or 6 speed?[/quote]

It's a 6 speed.

After some thought I want to keep the apperance of stock in the car, its a special car(to me anyways)and I am going to rebuild her. Now the fun part, I would like to make some performance modificiations while the engine is torn apart. However, I do not want so much power that suddenly I need a new clutch or beefer suspension. The crank has to be replaced for sure, and I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest some medium performance parts I could put in their as well i.e cam,intake,pistons etc. Again cost is somewhat of a factor so I have to be careful in what I really should replace and what doesn't need doing. The motor has almost 175,000 miles on her and I really don't want to have to do this again so this would be it as far as major modifications go to it. Any help would be very much appreciated! I'll be sure to post photos as she goes.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 pm

i think a stock rebuild should only run about 2k'ish. or go all out, go all motor/ bore & stroke the monster LT1 to 383cubic inches, forged bottom end, heads and intake manifold ported/polished, cam, 58mm throttle body, some bigger injectors, long tube headers/ Y-pipe, maybe a cutout and a tune..... you'll be happy :mrgreen: ... makes me wish that's all i did
2001#194 (Unicorn)

97Hawk

Post by 97Hawk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 pm

BLACK-HAWK wrote:i think a stock rebuild should only run about 2k'ish. or go all out, go all motor/ bore & stroke the monster LT1 to 383cubic inches, forged bottom end, heads and intake manifold ported/polished, cam, 58mm throttle body, some bigger injectors, long tube headers/ Y-pipe, maybe a cutout and a tune..... you'll be happy :mrgreen: ... makes me wish that's all i did

Thanks yeah I was definitely thinking forged crank, maybe bore it out. Anyone have any specific parts? i.e the cam, heads, intake etc.?

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:49 pm

97Hawk wrote:
BLACK-HAWK wrote:i think a stock rebuild should only run about 2k'ish. or go all out, go all motor/ bore & stroke the monster LT1 to 383cubic inches, forged bottom end, heads and intake manifold ported/polished, cam, 58mm throttle body, some bigger injectors, long tube headers/ Y-pipe, maybe a cutout and a tune..... you'll be happy :mrgreen: ... makes me wish that's all i did
Thanks yeah I was definitely thinking forged crank, maybe bore it out. Anyone have any specific parts? i.e the cam, heads, intake etc.?

You have to do 2 things before you start buying parts. Determine a goal (hp, natrually aspirated or blower/turbo/nitrous) and determine your budget. A forged rotating assembly is more expensive but isn't necessary.

There is no need to bore the motor to get more cubic inches, just change the stroke (crank / rods).
'94 Hawk #110

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 pm

^^ what he said... what's your goal and do you have the money to support it...
2001#194 (Unicorn)