Back already............

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

VBACHAWK

Back already............

Post by VBACHAWK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Just bought a new battery for the Hawk...it was time and I am daily driving in a few 0 degree days. She's in a carport, but will be in a heated garage soon :) OK.............ticking noise emanating from the right side of the engine, or so it seems. It only starts ticking upon acceleration and is louder when going up a hill. I know that I've had this problem before, but forgot what caused it. Seems to me it had something to do with the headers, but DO remember that is was a fairly expensive fix.............any ideas ?

As usual, thanks, guys !

Pam
1997 red Hawk #99

PontiacFan

Re: Back already............

Post by PontiacFan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Exhaust gasket?
Can you check the bolts to insure they are tight?
(Might too late now if it's burnt thru.)
Plug issue? Also check to make sure they are tight, & not broken.
Insure the plug wires are install completely?

When it's running, see if you can feel any 'bursts' of air around the exhasut manifolds when someone revs the engine.
In the dark of night, you can sometimes look under the hood to see if you can witness any 'spark' or 'arcing' across anywhere to insure the wires condition is secure & not loose or broken.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm

iif you don't feel any real power loss then it sounds like a burnt gasket. the driver side is much easier to replace then the passenger side. if it is, just loosen the front and rear end bolts, and remove all the others in between. you might need a small pry bar and a Phillips screwdriver to help align the bolts holes of the new gasket. tighten back down. drive around for a few miles and tighten the manifolds bolts again while everything is warm.
Last edited by BLACK-HAWK on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001#194 (Unicorn)

VBACHAWK

Post by VBACHAWK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Bryan...............thanks ! But you talk like I am able to do all these things myself ! I wish.............I always take it to the GMC dealer here where I used to work...........I have no choice. They have a high performance mechanic there who is good. I pass along all you guys advice which they generally ignore. The clicking is coming from the passenger side and does not click unless the car is moving and more pronounced when engine is warm, in all gears, but more loud in higher gears. I'll take her in this week........sigh............

Pam

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

you'll get'r Pam
2001#194 (Unicorn)

VBACHAWK

Post by VBACHAWK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks Bryan...........she's hitting 97,444 miles, switched engines for one with 40,000, so engine has about 60,000, but car is almost 98,000 miles old. And yes, I am getting around to taking a photo of the engine.............she still cosmetically looks really good, so I guess another few thousand (LOL) now and then will keep her on the road. My goal is to make the rally this year.............who knows ! It would be worth the $$$ to trailer her just to meet you guys ! I want her to be in optimal shape and not have to drive to the rally with the bumper sticker that reads, "Honk if parts fall off..."

Pam

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:45 pm

if i remember right i'm rocking on 7k on the rebuilt motor and about 160 on the rest of the car
2001#194 (Unicorn)