Getting Feedback On Passenger Door Speakers

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

T_Potter

Getting Feedback On Passenger Door Speakers

Post by T_Potter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:29 pm

This problem started last Saturday evening. I was driving home and for some odd reason I started hearing what sounds like feedback coming from the passenger door speakers. If I accelerated, the pitch of the feedback increased and when I applied the brakes the pitch decreased. If I have music on from either the radio or CD going, it doesn't play out of that side of the car.

The feedback isn't constant. Sometimes hitting a small bump in the road makes the problem disappear for a few minutes but then it starts up again.

I'm thinking it's a loose wire or connection in the passenger speakers since that's where the feedback seems to be coming from. I'm hearing this with the radio/CD player either turned off and on. Any other ideas as to what it might be?
Owner, 2001 Firehawk #0017
Class Winner, 11th Annual Fruit Cove Baptist Church Car Show
2nd In Class, 2011 "Bring On Spring" Classic Pontiac Show
3rd In Class, 2012 "Bring On Spring" Classic Pontiac Show

BLACK-HAWK

Re: Getting Feedback On Passenger Door Speakers

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm

loose ground wire somewhere?
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 am

Has to be a loose / frayed wire somewhere.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

T_Potter

Post by T_Potter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Any ideas where I should start looking for the loose or possibly frayed wire? Or is this the type of job that I need to go to a car audio store to have them look at and fix it?

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

check the speaker it's self, the back of the cd/radio head unit, back of fuse box
2001#194 (Unicorn)

LT4 Hawk 9

Post by LT4 Hawk 9 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 am

If it's both door speakers and nothing else, it has to be an issue with the Monsoon amplifier's right front channel. A speaker that is unhooked (wiring issue) would just stop playing. If it were a ground wire to the head unit as some have mentioned, it would give static through all channels at once. This is an amplifier issue. I wouldn't rule out a bad connection between the amp and speaker pod, but my money is on the amplifier itself.
Mike Moore
Bridgewater, VA

1997 LT4 Firehawk #009

T_Potter

Post by T_Potter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm

LT4 Hawk 9 wrote:If it's both door speakers and nothing else, it has to be an issue with the Monsoon amplifier's right front channel. A speaker that is unhooked (wiring issue) would just stop playing. If it were a ground wire to the head unit as some have mentioned, it would give static through all channels at once. This is an amplifier issue. I wouldn't rule out a bad connection between the amp and speaker pod, but my money is on the amplifier itself.
Ok, so where is this amplifier located? I'm still having this problem and it's getting to be a real PITA and it occurs whether the radio/CD player is off or on.

I checked the fuse box and everything seemed ok. The head unit also seemed pretty tight with no movement that I could discern.

Hopefully it's an easy fix like a loose connection that I can do on my own. I called some car audio shops and they all wanted money in advance before lifting a finger. :evil:

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm

T_Potter wrote: Ok, so where is this amplifier located?
I think it is in your passenger side wheel well where your spare tire is.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

T_Potter

Post by T_Potter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm

LT4 Hawk 9 wrote:If it's both door speakers and nothing else, it has to be an issue with the Monsoon amplifier's right front channel. A speaker that is unhooked (wiring issue) would just stop playing. If it were a ground wire to the head unit as some have mentioned, it would give static through all channels at once. This is an amplifier issue. I wouldn't rule out a bad connection between the amp and speaker pod, but my money is on the amplifier itself.
Looks like you are probably correct in your diagnosis. Good call on your part.

I went to a shop today to have someone examine the problem. A temporary solution was implemented at the repair shop to temporarily switch sides. No problems on the drive home but we'll see what happens.

I also found out that there isn't a Monsoon amplifier in the car. The tech showed me that it's an Alpine amplifier that the previous owner must have installed prior to my purchasing the car.