Ground clearance inssues with "Y" pipe?

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

99Hawk521

Ground clearance inssues with "Y" pipe?

Post by 99Hawk521 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 am

So I'm thinking of going to a new Y pipe and high flow cats on my '99.
I've got the Bilstein suspension, so I believe I'm a little lower than stock.
The existing Y pipe sure seems to be quite restrictive.
Ideally, I'd like to have zero ground clearance issues.
Anyone here have any experiance with this?

Scott Chab

Re: Ground clearance inssues with "Y" pipe?

Post by Scott Chab » Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 am

If your car is lower than stock and you don't want any ground clearance issues, leave the y-pipe alone. AFAIK swapping it out won't give you much power anyway so it isn't really worth it.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

sleepinghawk

Post by sleepinghawk » Mon May 16, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't know the difference's between the 99-02 and I have the Bilstein also. I replaced my stock Y (FLAT ON DRIVER SIDE) with the new SLP Y first with no issues, then I put the ARHeaders with their high flow cats and their Y and honestly I'm sure everything is lower, but I have no issues with my hawk. My hawk is not a garage queen, it is driven every day, year round. So I go over speed bumps at hospitals, colleges, McDonalds :mrgreen: By far the Headers and high flow cats were the best investment on my car. Was not cheap but I saved up for stainless, and I was not going any other path except stainless cause of rusting. You might not notice the power change with just a Y but I wasn't looking for the power, I wanted the flattened Y off and the $ was worth it to me. I wish I had the hawk dyno before all the modding, but I did it after the headers and gear change. Either way enjoy your car!
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

1998silverbird

Post by 1998silverbird » Fri May 20, 2011 8:35 am

If you dont want ground clearence issue then I would stay away from 3inch y-pipes..
Mandee and Jeff
1995 Firehawk # 599
2002 WS6 M6
2009 G8 GT
1986 Corvette

Previous F-body Cars
1998 Firebird V6.. 370rwhp and 430 rwtq
1988 Trans am GTA
1979 Firebird Formula
1986 Chevy Camaro
1994 Firebird 3.4 V6
1991 Bandit 2 Firebird
1989 Formula WS6

25thhawk

Post by 25thhawk » Sat May 21, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a 98 ss that I originally put the slp y-pipe on. No real difference in power or clearance. Then I had slp headers and 3" y-pipe. Terrible clearance, would never recommend it for a lowered car (or maybe any car at all) Now it has kooks longtubes with a 3" x pipe and cats. I made the whole exhaust except for the header and it tucks up real nice. Plenty of clearance. It would be low on a lowered car though. I'm not sure how much the bilsteins lower the car. If your not switching to headers, I wouldn't change the y-pipe. If you were doing headers and needed extra clearance, they do make oval pipe, but it costs more and you would need to fab it yourself because noone makes one for our cars.

Ryan