Header problem

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

VBACHAWK

Header problem

Post by VBACHAWK » Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 pm

I take my Hawk to the the local GMC dealer where they have a pretty good tech for my car. We now have a leaking header and since it is aftermarket (BBK), Lance doesn't feel comfortable working on it. The service manager is calling some muffler shops to see if they will do the job. I am clueless.............is this a good idea ? Need your advice quickly..............

Thanks,

Pam
97 Red Hawk #99

Scott Chab

Re: Header problem

Post by Scott Chab » Wed May 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Is what a good idea? To have a muffler shop work on it? To have someone else find a shop to work on your car?
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

VBACHAWK

Post by VBACHAWK » Wed May 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey Scott..........yes, I think my question is........is a muffler shop a good place to work on headers.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 pm

IMO, you need to find a reputable 'speed shop' or other private mechanic to work with.
Ask your friends who'd they recommend.

I have a local guy that does a lot of work on my other vehicles, & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who needs help.

There used to be a 'speed shop', or 'performance oriented' reputable shop over in Golden just off Colfax & Hwy6.
Just came to me, 'Golden Performance'.
Nothing comes up thru Google tho.

VBACHAWK

Post by VBACHAWK » Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 pm

I agree............the GMC guy told me that the muffler shop he called first said my exhaust system was crap and that I should shoot whoever installed it and replace it. I went with BBK headers for financial reasons at the time. I definitely will be on the lookout for a good mechanic after this. My finances are strained and she obviously needs to be a garage car, but I am working out of my house, so the mileage has gone way down. I know she needs a serious infusion of cash, but that isn't happening unless I win the lottery.

I almost called the Corvette Connection or Dragon Racing in Denver, but they are high dollar. There should be SOMEONE here in Longmont. Would auto parts store be a goodplace to ask for referral on a mechanic ?

As usual....thanks guys !

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm

i'm confused on what's leaking, is it just that gasket that is leaking or a bad weld on the header it's self?
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Stringfellow

Post by Stringfellow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:32 pm

If I read it right, any reputable mechanic can replace an exhaust gasket, whether it be a header gasket or an exhaust manifold gasket. I would think where the question comes in is what type of gasket to replace it with. Being a header, your option can be OER, header brand manufacture gasket that they provide when purchasing the headers or brand name gasket manufacturers product such as FEL PRO or even copper style.
Once you have the gasket to replace then the job should be simple for any reputable mechanic, especially one that has experience with your car from previous jobs.
ImageImage
2001 10th Anniversary M6
car # 472/10th # 110

Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds
Signed Book # 472

jarredsoon

Post by jarredsoon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Why not replace the exhaust gasket your self? Just unbolt the exhaust manifold from the cylinder head, slide the old gasket out and the new one in? Bolt it back up in the middle and work out. Can't be that tough and then you don't have to worry about some guy telling you your bbk exhaust is crap