Dashboard and Door panel cracks

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

MCP

Dashboard and Door panel cracks

Post by MCP » Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 pm

So it has finally happened. My 2002 'hawk has developed small (approximately 1.5") cracks in the driver's side door panel up near the window and on the dashboard near the little rid alarm light/vent.
Has anyone tried ways to fix things like this and had success? I've heard to try clear silicone and then go over that with the paint from the vinyl/dash repair kit. (My dash/panel happens to be black). I've also heard of using super glue, but I'm not sure about that.
If any of you folks here have a method that works, I'm looking for ideas. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you guys can give me.

Rubrburnr

Re: Dashboard and Door panel cracks

Post by Rubrburnr » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 am

Don't know about the dashboard but as for the door panels go on to ls1tech.com. There is a nice write up on how to fix these. I just did both doors while one was already cracked. You shouldn't need any paint if done correctly (and how bad the cracks are)

MCP

Post by MCP » Sun May 29, 2011 6:03 am

The cracks aren't really that bad. Barely noticeable, but since I know they are there, I lock right onto each one every time I get in the car....I did a search on LS1 tech, and was unable to find the thread you're referring to, although a search on this site netted me one with a link to there and pics of a repair that involved taking the panel off. I'm thinking of trying the silicone method. Seems like it isn't that had to do. Anyone else have any ideas?

sleepinghawk

Post by sleepinghawk » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 am

Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

HawkFanatic

Post by HawkFanatic » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:28 am

Try this for the door panels.
I plan on repairing these this summer before the TA Nats.
http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/i ... index.html
1999 Trans Am Firehawk #0548 of 719
NBM, Taupe M6

STB, SFC's, LS6 Intake, SS Headers, Y-Pipe, Lid, MAF, Bellows, Short Stick, Strano/Koni, UMI PHB, LEDs, HIDs

UKMartin

Post by UKMartin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:51 am

Hiya from Martin in the Uk. I have a 2001 Pontiac Firehawk 10th Anniversary. The door panel has done exactly the same for me on the drivers side. I took the door panel off, got this extra super special glue, tried sticking the crack together but that didn't work. The best way round it is to see if you can get replacement door panels from a scrapper. Also you don't happen to know what the caster and camber settings for tracking the firehawk?

Regards

Martin

Mattie

Door panel cracks

Post by Mattie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Revive an old thread here....

So I'm lucky enough to own a Firehawk without any cracks as of yet. On the weekend I followed the HPP website & took off both door panels & pulled the offending staple out of each.

Now, I didn't bother pulling all staples back to the latch-end of each door. HPP suggested removing these and using some small hardware to secure the inside glass whisker.

I figure I'm alright by releasing pressure with that one staple. We'll see. Interesting enough - the power window moves more efficiently after the fix.

A lot of these repair threads are pretty old. How have the repairs held up for any of you?
mattie

2000 T/A Firehawk #C15
Black, T-tops, 6spd.

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

There is a company making a "Dash Cap" that fits over your existing dash. I believe they are around $150.00 and look pretty good when done right. I can get you the info if you are interested.
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Stand beside the open door from the door jam area & watch the door panels flex during the last 2-4inches of travel when going down.
It may just be me, but I try to never allow the windows to go all the way down. I try to keep them up a few inches, ..., which reminds me of what my wife said last night, ..., :lol:

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:51 pm

This can narrow things down a little for you. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=159

Edit. It appears the link is not working 100% , but it will take you to their site, look up "cracked interior door panel", post #159
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol: