Headlight not closing completely???

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

2000 Red Hawk

Headlight not closing completely???

Post by 2000 Red Hawk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Help! My baby's left headlight won't go down flush with the body. I have photos.
Thanks for the help in advance!

lakeratiam

Re: Headlight not closing completely???

Post by lakeratiam » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:26 pm

More than likely the drive gear on the head light actuator motor has jumped and/or is stripped. It is a plastic gear that can be replaced. If you are handy you can buy the part for $15.00 to $20.00. A used actuator probably can be found for around $100.00, a rebuilt one for around $150.00 or a new one around $200 or higher. As long as the motor works, I would just rebuild it or have a GM mechanic do it for you. Several other vehicles use these including the Corvette. There are also kits with aluminum or brass gears. I am wary of those in icy climates because you could destroy the drive motor if you turned on your headlights and the doors are frozen shut. I would rather shred a $15.00 gear than trash a $100.00 plus drive motor. It is a pretty straight forward and economical repair. I rebuilt one of mine myself. :D
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

randybirdhawk

Post by randybirdhawk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm

It may just need adjustment. If you aren't hearing the headlight motor running after opening or closing try adjusting the headlight positioning. Look straight down at the headlight motor and you will see a rubber boot that has an extension protruding up through a hole in the metal support bracket. Turn it the correct direction until the headlight closes all the way. Try your switch again and see if it corrected the problem. There is also a procedure on line to relocate were the gear on the motor starts so you can use it a while longer as is.
2001 Formula Firehawk #190
SLP 160°F Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, SLP Skip Shift, SLP Tower Brace, SLP Air Box Lid, SLP Smooth Bellows, SLP High Capacity Radiator, and #241 Ported and Polished Heads
http://www.fquick.com/randybird

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

randybirdhawk wrote:It may just need adjustment. If you aren't hearing the headlight motor running after opening or closing try adjusting the headlight positioning. Look straight down at the headlight motor and you will see a rubber boot that has an extension protruding up through a hole in the metal support bracket. Turn it the correct direction until the headlight closes all the way. Try your switch again and see if it corrected the problem. There is also a procedure on line to relocate were the gear on the motor starts so you can use it a while longer as is.

Just my $.02... I wouldn't bother taking a headlight motor apart to just flip the gear so I can get more life out of it. Do the job once and do it right by replacing it with a brass gear.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

randybirdhawk

Post by randybirdhawk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:11 pm

Scott Chab wrote:
randybirdhawk wrote:It may just need adjustment. If you aren't hearing the headlight motor running after opening or closing try adjusting the headlight positioning. Look straight down at the headlight motor and you will see a rubber boot that has an extension protruding up through a hole in the metal support bracket. Turn it the correct direction until the headlight closes all the way. Try your switch again and see if it corrected the problem. There is also a procedure on line to relocate were the gear on the motor starts so you can use it a while longer as is.

Just my $.02... I wouldn't bother taking a headlight motor apart to just flip the gear so I can get more life out of it. Do the job once and do it right by replacing it with a brass gear.

You don't have to take the motor apart. You take the linkage arm lose and rotate the motor 180 degrees by turning the rubber boot.
2001 Formula Firehawk #190
SLP 160°F Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, SLP Skip Shift, SLP Tower Brace, SLP Air Box Lid, SLP Smooth Bellows, SLP High Capacity Radiator, and #241 Ported and Polished Heads
http://www.fquick.com/randybird