Problems with floor mats

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

HawkFanatic

Problems with floor mats

Post by HawkFanatic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:18 am

My car did not get the optional SLP mats when it was ordered, so I have been trying to find a set for a while. They used to be on ebay all the time about 5 years ago and I should have bought them then, but didn’t. So when I finally found a TAN set (rare) on craigslist, I snatched them up. The price was good because they had some sort of stain on them. I thought it was just dirt or mold since the seller told me they were stored in his garden shed, in a plastic bag since he bought his car.
When I got them, it turns out it is some sort of black adhesive that appears to be leeching from the mats themselves. I am wondering if any other mat owners have had similar issues with their mats. I have tried everything I can think of to get this stuff off, and its not really doing much: Carpet cleaners, Tide, Dawn, rubbing alcohol, bug and tar remover…
The stuff in the Firehawk word itself has come out relatively well, but everything along the border remains. I think they were two different stains.

If I cant get this stuff out before Trans Am National, I’m going to have to use a tan paint marker all along the border I think…
1999 Trans Am Firehawk #0548 of 719
NBM, Taupe M6

STB, SFC's, LS6 Intake, SS Headers, Y-Pipe, Lid, MAF, Bellows, Short Stick, Strano/Koni, UMI PHB, LEDs, HIDs

PontiacFan

Re: Problems with floor mats

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Are ya sure they didn't start out as the Black/Ebony set & have faded to the current color?
The black mats have been known to fade pretty bad to a dull aqua/blue or worse.

Those look pretty nasty like that.
I'd try the standard clothing dye that you can buy at most any retail laundry rack like Wallyworld.

Throw'em in the kitchen sink with some dye & see if that'll bring'em.
Do you want them Ebony/Black color, or Tan/Neutral color?

HawkFanatic

Post by HawkFanatic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes, they need to stay the tan color to match my interior. I am thinking a paint marker along the border should cover it, but I would like to clean them up instead if possible.

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 am

i never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
2001#194 (Unicorn)