VATS Issue

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Unifalcon

VATS Issue

Post by Unifalcon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi. I have a 1995 Firehawk. The battery was completely dead after I did not start it for a few weeks. I removed it, charged it and put it back in. When I turned the key, the fuel pump started but there was no crank and the security and engine lights came on. I turned the ignition off, cleaned my key and waited a few minutes. It did the same thing. The second key did not work either.

I had a VATS issue a few years ago. It was the same thing - no crank and the security light came on (I do not remember if the engine light came on too). However, it started on the next try after I cleaned my key and waited a few minutes. It did not happen again until now.

Does the VATS system get messed up when the battery is removed? It is just weird that it happened right after that.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!

spoogen622

Re: VATS Issue

Post by spoogen622 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

I had this issue in my 93 . ended up having to get the ignition cylinder replaced and had to get a couple new keys.

if you dont care about the vats you can put a resister in to bypass the vats system. Im not sure how to do it. But it can be done.

So im really no help

1998silverbird

Post by 1998silverbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 pm

I believe that the Vats system is basically 2 wires that are soldered 1 on each side of the ignition cylinder. When you put your key in the ignition with the Resistor it basically contacts those 2 wires and completes the circuit with the correct OHMs.. Over time turning the car on and off the wires will get loose and then you start getting the security light were you have to wait 5 mins for it to go out before trying to start it up again.. This gets worse and more frequent over time until the wire completely break off and you wont be able to start the car..

You can read out the resistor on your key to see what OHMS it is then go to radio shack and find a regular resistor of the same OHMs and splice it in to the Vats wires or do like I did with my 98 and just unplug the vats system under the dash. The security light will stay on all the time but your car will start..
Mandee and Jeff
1995 Firehawk # 599
2002 WS6 M6
2009 G8 GT
1986 Corvette

Previous F-body Cars
1998 Firebird V6.. 370rwhp and 430 rwtq
1988 Trans am GTA
1979 Firebird Formula
1986 Chevy Camaro
1994 Firebird 3.4 V6
1991 Bandit 2 Firebird
1989 Formula WS6

Unifalcon

Post by Unifalcon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks for your ideas. I tried the "re-learn" process but that didn't work. I contemplated going to the dealer but of the three local dealers, only one was willing to look at it. That one had not handled the problem before but thought they could fix it. They wanted $220 just to diagnose it though.

I then did the bypass trick with resistors. It worked!! :D