Bilstein option

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

mridude

Bilstein option

Post by mridude » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Anyone know if there is a specific RPO code that will tell if a Firehawk has the bilstein performance package? For that matter what about the other Firhawk "options" listed at the link below? Do they have specific RPOs?

http://www.firehawk.org/article/1279.html

zmaro

Re: Bilstein option

Post by zmaro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:06 pm

You can look at the SLP "second sicker" which lists all the additional options and is also in the door jam, however it may be faded and not legible. You can call SLP with your VIN and they will tell you the options it has and the build number.
'01 Formula Hardtop

mridude

Post by mridude » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Yes, I know my codes. What I do not know is what they all mean. For example, the only reference to RPO codes for suspension in any list I have been able to research are the codes:

6BT Component FRT LH Computer Sel Susp
7BT Component FRT RH Computer Sel Susp
8TJ Component RR LH Computer Sel Susp
9TJ Component RR RH Computer Sel Susp

I do have 8TJ and 9TJ RPOs on my car in the door, but I do not know if those refer to standard suspension or upgraded or what. I am looking for a plain english translation of the codes. I dont really know what "component frt lh computer sel susp" means exactly.

I am thinking of purchasing another Firehawk and want to know how to tell what it has by looking at a pic of the RPOs.

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:31 pm

I believe you are looking at the wrong sticker. Those codes sound like GM RPO codes, the only Firehawk related code would be WU6. You need to look at the SLP sticker to find the SLP options and call SLP with the vin to verify it is a real hawk, and what options it has. Since you can buy replacement RPO stickers the only way to be sure is to call SLP.
'01 Formula Hardtop

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm

The answer to the original question is 'No'.

SLP second sticker on the passenger door, Actual SLP window sticker in hand with a matching VIN, or calling SLP with the VIN number may be the only ways to tell what SLP options the car has.

GM RPO codes will NOT give you any info on the SLP suspension options.

mridude

Post by mridude » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm

I see. My GM sticker does have the WU6 RPO. I didn't know about the SLP sticker on the passenger door. It shows build date and chrome wheels and floor mats as SLP installed options. So, if the Firehawk had upgraded suspension, or other SLP installed options, I assume they would be spelled out on the SLP sticker also. Thanks for the help.

red70judge

Post by red70judge » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 pm

YUP...The GM code of WU6 makes it ready for the SLP alteration options. Code FE2 is the standard suspension
on the GM parts identification sticker also. Your SLP sticker has the wheels and the mats only and not the Bilstein
Suspension. Here is some info I just discovered. The Bilstein suspension sway bars on my '99 Hawk are the same
as my '01 WS-6. Both are 32mm front and 19mm rear. Measured by a new digital caliper. Both cars are low
mile all original. Hope this helps.

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:24 pm

mridude wrote:Anyone know if there is a specific RPO code that will tell if a Firehawk has the bilstein performance package? For that matter what about the other Firhawk "options" listed at the link below? Do they have specific RPOs?

http://www.firehawk.org/article/1279.html
A friend of mine used to be a SLP dealer and gave me this. I'm noy really sure if it helps though.......
.http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i45 ... atiam/slp/

Click on the image to make it larger to read. I have seen it posted on this site before, but I can't find it now.
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

Maplehawk

Post by Maplehawk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:00 am

EASY

YELLOW SHOCK = BILSTEIN
Orange shocks = stock de Carbon

THe SLP variable rate springs have an SLP part # on them The cars sits about an inch lower. Hard to tell easily re: spring without a hoist
Mac Logan
1992 Firehawk #05
1995 Firehawk #C04
2018 Mercedes-Benz C300 Wagon
Proud Member - Firehawk Association of America
Author of Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds

randybirdhawk

Post by randybirdhawk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm

If you want to check this site first you could go to the "Owners Data Base" pick "RPO Codes", then go to "Firehawk By Option" and pick "Firehawk" then scroll down to the bottom of page and pick 'Sports Suspension Package Level 2". Not a complete list like SLP but it will give you a list of all the cars that owners took time to register on this awesome site (518 registered out of around 5,055). You can do this for any of the "SLP Options".
2001 Formula Firehawk #190
SLP 160°F Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, SLP Skip Shift, SLP Tower Brace, SLP Air Box Lid, SLP Smooth Bellows, SLP High Capacity Radiator, and #241 Ported and Polished Heads
http://www.fquick.com/randybird