Roof panel paint bubbles - what % of cars not yet affected?

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

reelmcoy

Re: Roof panel paint bubbles - what % of cars not yet affect

Post by reelmcoy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:49 pm

My 01 Formula hawk has it. 48,XXX miles. Had it when I bought it. I have an OEM sail panel to fix it, just got to get around to doing it.
2001 SOM Formula Firehawk #444

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 pm

my '01 never had those bubbles until the repaint last year. 6k miles on it and now it has some bubbles. the whole car was repainted. Probably when they baked it after painting the whole thing. that is when bubbles popped out. i'll fix them this spring.

reelmcoy

Post by reelmcoy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 pm

[quote="DraganHawk"i'll fix them this spring.[/quote]

You know the only way to fix it is to replace the sail panel with one from a LT1 car or the AM one that is out, right?

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am

Found a place that sells them brand new. They bought the tooling from GM and now make it. You can get standard or carbon fiber. Only for t-tops though. They don't yet make the direct fit for hardtop.

reelmcoy

Post by reelmcoy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 am

DraganHawk wrote:Found a place that sells them brand new. They bought the tooling from GM and now make it. You can get standard or carbon fiber. Only for t-tops though. They don't yet make the direct fit for hardtop.
I would prefer a true OEM part. Just because they bought the tooling doesn't mean it will fit correctly. Look at all the OER parts available for old muscle cars.

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 am

reelmcoy wrote:
DraganHawk wrote:Found a place that sells them brand new. They bought the tooling from GM and now make it. You can get standard or carbon fiber. Only for t-tops though. They don't yet make the direct fit for hardtop.
I would prefer a true OEM part. Just because they bought the tooling doesn't mean it will fit correctly. Look at all the OER parts available for old muscle cars.
Good luck with OEM. GM NO LONGER MAKES THEM OR SELLS THEM. OER is a REPRODUCTION. Their tooling/molds so it's close because again it is a REPRODUCTION. The guys that bought the stuff from GM are the exact ones GM made.

96AZHAWK

Post by 96AZHAWK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm

I would be interested in the info for the replacements if you wouldn't mind. We have a few cars that have this issue. Hahaha

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

reelmcoy

Post by reelmcoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 am

DraganHawk wrote:
reelmcoy wrote:
Good luck with OEM. GM NO LONGER MAKES THEM OR SELLS THEM. OER is a REPRODUCTION. Their tooling/molds so it's close because again it is a REPRODUCTION. The guys that bought the stuff from GM are the exact ones GM made.
I have two OEM sitting in my garage in perfect condition. Have access to as many as I need. No OER fiberglass crap on my hawk that needs a ton of finish work and doesn't fit right.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

reelmcoy wrote:I have two OEM sitting in my garage in perfect condition. Have access to as many as I need. No OER fiberglass crap on my hawk that needs a ton of finish work and doesn't fit right.
Are you looking to sell these or what is the purpose of the comment? :?
The OER posted above have good reviews. No 'tons of finish work' & they do fit right.

If you have access to 'as many as you need', ..., You should be reselling them to the others who do need them! 8)
Do you have any actual photos of these that you have available & any info on where there are more that people can access?!?

reelmcoy

Post by reelmcoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 am

PontiacFan wrote:
reelmcoy wrote:I have two OEM sitting in my garage in perfect condition. Have access to as many as I need. No OER fiberglass crap on my hawk that needs a ton of finish work and doesn't fit right.
Are you looking to sell these or what is the purpose of the comment? :?
The OER posted above have good reviews. No 'tons of finish work' & they do fit right.

If you have access to 'as many as you need', ..., You should be reselling them to the others who do need them! 8)
Do you have any actual photos of these that you have available & any info on where there are more that people can access?!?
I have photos of them prepped for primer. Unless you have the correct tools and experience these are hard to remove without damaging them.I tried selling some for less than OER but people think I should be selling them for a $100 or less. Shipping is also stupid due to the size. I can also get OEM hardtops, but again, people think I should give them away. I have been in the collision industry for 28 years and my time and experience is worth something.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm

So these are units removed from cars?!?
If so, What year of cars?

Or new OEM in the package from GM?

I'm not saying you should sell for cheap money.
I'm just more curious in exactly what you have available as I know many people who are looking for them if they are OEM new in the package.

reelmcoy

Post by reelmcoy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm

PontiacFan wrote:So these are units removed from cars?!?

I'm just more curious in exactly what you have available as I know many people who are looking for them if they are OEM new in the package.
These are off 0f 97 and earlier f bodies. Easy to get off if you have the tools and skill to do so.

zmaro

Post by zmaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm

reelmcoy wrote:
PontiacFan wrote:So these are units removed from cars?!?

These are off 0f 97 and earlier f bodies. Easy to get off if you have the tools and skill to do so.
What tools would one use? I need to remove one.
'01 Formula Hardtop