Wierd problem with the 'Hawk

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

luvmy02hawk

Wierd problem with the 'Hawk

Post by luvmy02hawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

So it was SO nice out last week for central NY I had to get my baby out of storage! Everything was great! The second day I drove her I hit the lock button on my key fob and the headlights came up, then down, and the headlight gears started grinding with an awful noise! Same thing happened when I hit the unlock button. Then driving home I turned on just the driving/fog lights and it did it again! Now I have done NOTHING as far as an aftermarket alarm system or remote car starter. Just an up graded stereo was added a few years ago and I had SLP do a set of long tube headers last fall. I found NO evidence of animal/mouse activity while in storage...I put glue traps and bait all around the car...and have stored it in the same place for several years with out a problem. So I don't think a mouse chewing a set of wires is at fault...any ideas? This one really stumped me! Other than that she still runs GREAT! Thanks!
'02 Red Firehawk Car# 610,SLP Long Tube Headers & SLP Loudmouth. SLP Spoiler, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat,Cert. of Birth, Embroidered Headrests, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, Tinted Windows, Firehawk Banner, Last Of Breed Badging, & SLP Logo

Scott Chab

Re: Wierd problem with the 'Hawk

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55 pm

luvmy02hawk wrote:So it was SO nice out last week for central NY I had to get my baby out of storage! Everything was great! The second day I drove her I hit the lock button on my key fob and the headlights came up, then down, and the headlight gears started grinding with an awful noise! Same thing happened when I hit the unlock button. Then driving home I turned on just the driving/fog lights and it did it again! Now I have done NOTHING as far as an aftermarket alarm system or remote car starter. Just an up graded stereo was added a few years ago and I had SLP do a set of long tube headers last fall. I found NO evidence of animal/mouse activity while in storage...I put glue traps and bait all around the car...and have stored it in the same place for several years with out a problem. So I don't think a mouse chewing a set of wires is at fault...any ideas? This one really stumped me! Other than that she still runs GREAT! Thanks!
It is a bad headlight gear. Do a Google search for Brent Franker and you'll find a way to flip the gear but for a better fix, buy one of his replacement gears. If you do buy a replacement gear, buy 2 and replace both of them. If one went bad the other one isn't far behind.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

luvmy02hawk

Post by luvmy02hawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I did the "Flip" on one of the head light gears already...but I guess I don't understand how they are tied into the remote locking/unlocking the doors, or turning on just the fog lights. When the gear went before it only ground when the lights closed. I think I do need to buy the brass gears for the headlights anyways, but still don't get it! I also am looking to replace the LED strip in the optional SLP rear deck lid 3rd brake light. I have one LED out and it is annoying me! My research tells me that this is GM Part# 9146117 from a 97-01 Cadillac Catera. Does that sound correct?
'02 Red Firehawk Car# 610,SLP Long Tube Headers & SLP Loudmouth. SLP Spoiler, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat,Cert. of Birth, Embroidered Headrests, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, Tinted Windows, Firehawk Banner, Last Of Breed Badging, & SLP Logo

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I had a bad headlight gear and my headlights would pop up (but not be on) when I put my parking lights on. The grinding is the giveaway and I'm willing to bet that the problem goes away once it is flipped or replaced.

Not sure about the LED in the 3rd brake light but I'm sure someone else will reply.
'94 Hawk #110

luvmy02hawk

Post by luvmy02hawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

You are 100% correct Scott! I just checked out Brent's website...this is EXACTLY what is happening! I ordered both gears and am going to do a permant fix! Thanks for your help! :D

3) The headlights cycle open and closed when they shouldn't. For example, when arming or disarming the alarm or just turning on the fog lights or parking lights, the headlights will cycle or go up but not on. This is actually 100% related to the stripped gear. In every case where I have heard of people complaining about the lights cycling or coming up when they shouldn't, they also have the problem of the stripped gear as mentioned above. The good news for you is that once you fix the stripped gear problem either by the temporary free fix mentioned below or by getting one of my brass gears (now hard coated aluminum gears), this problem will magically disappear as well :) What happens I believe is the stripped gear kinda "freaks out" the headlight control module so to speak. The control module doesn't know if it is coming or going so the lights do strange things. Fix the gear and the lights will go back to working normally for you again.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 pm

Here is a little tip - pick up (if you don't already have them) two 10mm ratcheting closed-end box wrenches, one offset and one straight. I bought 2 from Sears, 9mm on one end and 10mm on the other and they have a little switch on the offset one since you can't always flip it to change direction of the ratchet.

They aren't cheap but they'll save you time, frustration and some scratches and bruises.
Last edited by Scott Chab on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Hawk #110

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 pm

luvmy02hawk wrote: My research tells me that this is GM Part# 9146117 from a 97-01 Cadillac Catera. Does that sound correct?
yes

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Kimaugh

Post by Kimaugh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:50 am

luvmy02hawk wrote:I did the "Flip" on one of the head light gears already...but I guess I don't understand how they are tied into the remote locking/unlocking the doors, or turning on just the fog lights. When the gear went before it only ground when the lights closed. I think I do need to buy the brass gears for the headlights anyways, but still don't get it! I also am looking to replace the led lights manufacturers strip in the optional SLP rear deck lid 3rd brake light. I have one LED out and it is annoying me! My research tells me that this is GM Part# 9146117 from a 97-01 Cadillac Catera. Does that sound correct?
Hello even I own LED lights and they are working well for me. You can check the circuits yourself or take help of any expert.