Taking off the SLP "IROC" Spoiler

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

luvmy02hawk

Taking off the SLP "IROC" Spoiler

Post by luvmy02hawk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Hey, has anyone ever taken off the optional SLP spoiler on their Hawk? I have a few LED's out in my third brakelight so I got a new one. Obviously to install it I have to remove the spoiler. I removed the three nuts on each side, and the two in the back...but it is still firmly attached in the back?! I even removed the 4 nuts holding the trunk lock but that didn't help either. Are these stuck on with an adhesive? I expected some silicone around the bolt holes over the trunk area. Any help/tips would be appreciated! Just trying to get her ready for the warm weather again!
'02 Red Firehawk Car# 610,SLP Long Tube Headers & SLP Loudmouth. SLP Spoiler, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat,Cert. of Birth, Embroidered Headrests, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, Tinted Windows, Firehawk Banner, Last Of Breed Badging, & SLP Logo

cheetoh

Re: Taking off the SLP "IROC" Spoiler

Post by cheetoh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 pm

I believe that there is some 2 sided type foam tape all around the base of the spoiler mating it to the deck lid. Most spoilers are mounted that way I believe. Not totally sure though.
2000 Black Firehawk. Non G8 style.
www.fquick.com/Cheetoh

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 am

I agree & believe you should try to take some fishing line or similar product & run underneath it.

luvmy02hawk

Post by luvmy02hawk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm

So I got the spoiler off...man what a PITA! Yes, they are held on with double sided foam sticky tape. I guess they may rattle without the tape. I ended up using a set of non-marring body molding/panel plastic scraper type tools I found at Harbor Freight tools. They worked well! Now to clean it all up, install my new brake light and put back on the car. Of course now I have an inch of snow on the car after our little snow storm here in central NY! First time I have ever had to use a snow brush on the Hawk! Looks like it will be sitting for awhile longer! Sigh!
'02 Red Firehawk Car# 610,SLP Long Tube Headers & SLP Loudmouth. SLP Spoiler, Floor Mats, Rear Deck Mat,Cert. of Birth, Embroidered Headrests, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, Tinted Windows, Firehawk Banner, Last Of Breed Badging, & SLP Logo