Axle seal leaking

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

sleepinghawk

Axle seal leaking

Post by sleepinghawk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Did a little search tonight on ls1 tech and will probably do alot more this weekend, but was wondering if anyone here has done their Hawks for the axle seals? I have ordered the 2 bearings, 2 seals, for both sides,rear gasket also. My driver side rear axle is leaking and I added 1 1/2 bottles tonight. I had new Moser axle's and new bearings installed in 06. :( My sign was gear oil on the inside of the wheel. Thanks
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

TTOP350

Re: Axle seal leaking

Post by TTOP350 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Stock 10 bolt I'm guessing?
If the seal is leaking its not a big deal. Seals fail all the time. Its just a pain when it needs fixed and cleaned up.
When installing the new seal, make sure its driven in straight/ flat also make sure the housing is smooth and bur free so the outside seals well.. Use a seal driver or a block of wood.
I would just replace the leaking seal, inspect the axle(s) for pitting/scoring and put it back together if they are ok. If the axles are pitted replace the bearings and axles.
There is a bearing called "the axle saver" that works ok if you don't want to replace bad axles.
Always looking for SLP/Firehawk parts for 3rdgen birds.
PM me.

sleepinghawk

Post by sleepinghawk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 pm

TTOP350 wrote:Stock 10 bolt I'm guessing?
If the seal is leaking its not a big deal. Seals fail all the time. Its just a pain when it needs fixed and cleaned up.
When installing the new seal, make sure its driven in straight/ flat also make sure the housing is smooth and bur free so the outside seals well.. Use a seal driver or a block of wood.
I would just replace the leaking seal, inspect the axle(s) for pitting/scoring and put it back together if they are ok. If the axles are pitted replace the bearings and axles.
There is a bearing called "the axle saver" that works ok if you don't want to replace bad axles.
Yes it is stock. Yes you are correct, that's what everyone is telling me about the seals. It's just a crock, that when I had the new axles, bearings and seals put in back in 06 with new gears, cause the axle's were pitted, I hoped that the seals would have lasted longer. Bad part is that I really don't know how long it's been leaking, other than when I first painted the inside of the wheels, that was my first sign and dumb me thought it was just excess grease from when I had greassed it and some heated up and dropped on the wheel.
I'm getting my ducks in a row as far as what I need and a seal driver is something I'm picking up tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
The axles I hope are ok, but any bad signs and I'll order new ones again. I'm replacing the bearings anyway for insurance, that's why I'm doing the other side also. Thanks TTOP350
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

02hawk0039

Post by 02hawk0039 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Here's what happens if you go over the specified torque spec for the crush sleeve...for the pinion seal anyway...

I didn't make it 2 miles and crusing at 50mph the most horrific sounds, smell and jolt came...

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 am

yup, mine's spent more time on the back of a flat bed then the road( 2 blown transmissions, 2 valve spring failures, 2 clutches, 1 rear end... good times and thank you god for AAA!) which by the way i highly recommend becoming a AAA member for all Hawk owners. Next to their out standing roadside assistance benefits they offer all sorts of discounts such as hotels, food, amusement parks, discounted movie tickets, and many many more! ... axle bearings are fun! if you don't know what you are doing with setting back lash I would take it to a professional.
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Black Robe

Post by Black Robe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 am

Just to make it clear to people who haven't done this job before...

The axle seals can be done without any rear diff set-up work. You do need to pull all the brakes off both sides to allow the axles to be removed/replaced (just tie the calipers up while you work), and you do need to take the rear cover off and deal with the messy gear oil. Removing the axles will require a magnet to remove the C clips from the inner ends of the axles, after you tap them inboard to reveal them after removing the cross-pin.

If you are good with the correct tools it will be a 3 hour job at home. faster with air tools and a hoist of course.

Now the pinion seal is another matter...
'01 Bright Red w/Black #C04 M6 Convertible
All GM Options, All SLP Options (Bilstein)

'82 Trans Am CACC/SCCA GT1 Road Racer