2OTL "resto"

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

SECRET61

2OTL "resto"

Post by SECRET61 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Looking for recommendations for a fairly stock 94 hawk on which cat to get. I have the cat-back off. What's the difference between spun cats compared to what slp/oe typically is. Going to reuse the factory 3" mandrel tubing and weld in a new muffler. Is there anything necessary for this hawk? An air tube or sensor? Still has AIR and emissions crap.....

lakeratiam

Re: 2OTL "resto"

Post by lakeratiam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:36 pm

I have been studying this myself for my car. No air tubes or anything like that on the 94' or 95's for that matter... I believe as far as LT cars go, the 96 and 97's did have a different, two piece Y pipe that did incorporate an air tube.....There are 2 O2 sensors on the Y pipe close to the exhaust manifold but not in 3" I pipe. As far as the original cat goes, it would have been a run of the mill OEM ceramic honey comb cat......The newer "spun" and metallic cats are supposed to flow freer and be vibration/shock resistant, ie; not break down/disintegrate internally. The only pitfall is that some of the smaller, "snake ate an egg" cats may not do a good enough job if you have to pass an emissions test....but with really good tuning, most are said to pass. You might want to check this out. http://flowmonster.com/i-6532986-415300 ... erter.html
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

SECRET61

Post by SECRET61 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply! The car is going to stay the way SLP designed it except the cat and muffler. Flowmonster looks great on price and sizes. If I do not have any tubes or sensors to worry about I will probably use a spun cat. In Augusta GA there is no emission testing at all, yet. Probably going with corsa clones for dual/dual tips. I will take pics and maybe a video when its done. Is there a good paint I could use to spiff up the original pipes. Guess the high heat auto zone duplicolor is a safe bet but I wonder if there is a cheaper option for tubing no one will ever see unless they are under the car. I'm thinking flat black or silver. Just don't want a coating burning off or peeling. Thanks guys.

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Eastwood use to make a decent high heat header paint that was silver.
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol: