Help! alternator

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

SECRET61

Help! alternator

Post by SECRET61 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 pm

My 94 formula hawk needs an alternator and just like the opti apparently there are two different models. The car was born in 93 and is #61. The guy at oreilys says there are some cars with a threaded B+ terminal and some with a square B+ terminal. I am a "traveling" sales rep and my schedule just changed for work requiring me to drive further from home. It goes into effect next week so my fiance and i won't be able to share our Ford Fusion like we have been. I live in an apartment where they raise hell if they see a car in the parking lot with the hood up for fear its a junk car. Its been difficult to enjoy my Hawk with no garage and no place to take something apart. So can anyone tell me if it should have a square or round threaded terminal? I have to get it fixed and running asap. Thanks in advance for your advice!

BLACK-HAWK

Re: Help! alternator

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

remove your alternator and bring it into Oreilly's and they will be able to find the correct replacement. Good chance it wall save you the core charge too. ... close the hood and get an outdoor car cover
2001#194 (Unicorn)

SECRET61

Post by SECRET61 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 pm

There turned out to be a drain on the battery from an interior bulb and a bad voltage regulator. Pulled the bulb and replaced the alternator and its running great now. However, back to the battery, I have had a time where it needed to be jumped off because it all of a sudden didnt have enough juice. On the way home from across town (30 min drive @ 60 MPH) I stopped at a gas station to grab cigs, run in run out, and it won't start. I've been told by someone who looked at my battery that it needs more than 800 cranking amps because its a large motor. Is this true? Distributor, plugs, wires, all new. Thanks!

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:52 am

SECRET61 wrote:I've been told by someone who looked at my battery that it needs more than 800 cranking amps because its a large motor. Is this true? Distributor, plugs, wires, all new.
:lol:
Did they try to sell you a new one?!?
They've probably got a boat payment to make, ...

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 am

SECRET61 wrote:There turned out to be a drain on the battery from an interior bulb and a bad voltage regulator. Pulled the bulb and replaced the alternator and its running great now. However, back to the battery, I have had a time where it needed to be jumped off because it all of a sudden didnt have enough juice. On the way home from across town (30 min drive @ 60 MPH) I stopped at a gas station to grab cigs, run in run out, and it won't start. I've been told by someone who looked at my battery that it needs more than 800 cranking amps because its a large motor. Is this true? Distributor, plugs, wires, all new. Thanks!
If you don't have a lot of extra audio/video equipment in your car, go with the CCA rating from your original battery or higher.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again