Another Opti Spark Question. Firehawk #173 of 201

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

firehawk173

Another Opti Spark Question. Firehawk #173 of 201

Post by firehawk173 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello all! My name is Jorge and my Mother In law owns a 1993 #173 of 201 Automatic. My Mother in law purchased the car but rarely drives it. Been enjoying the car for the past 3 or so years and so far had the car re painted, Catalytic Converter replaced and thermostat replaced. I'm sorry I don't post much, but I have encountered a problem with the car. It's getting fuel so that's not the problem. Checked for spark and no spark! I think I may have an issue with the Opti Spark as I have searched and came up with several different scenarios. I was wondering if besides the Opti Spark, should I replace the Ignition Control Module and coil? How about the Opti Spark wiring harness. The car cranks over, but again no fire. Car was running fine and then she heard a backfire. Thats when the car shut down. She managed to get the car over safely. Waited about 15 minutes and then the car fired back up. Drove about 10 miles and then the car just shut down again. This time no back fire.

Again, my apologies for not posting much, but your help with be greatly appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined so that isn't an issue. I just don't want to throw parts at it. I figured that alot if not most of you have ran across this issue especially having read so much about the Opti Spark issues.

Thank you in advance, Jorge

lakeratiam

Re: Another Opti Spark Question. Firehawk #173 of 201

Post by lakeratiam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Umm yea no spark can be a few things......The earlier opti sparks (93,94) were not vented and prone to problems with moisture building up in them. Could be a case of just that. The rotor is basically a optical trigger and any moisture that gets on it messes with it. Think of the windows in your car fogging up, same thing....even when dried out there could be some residue left on the rotor that could still cause intermittent issues. IMHO, I would start with the rotor. Later on down the line, you can up date the opti to a 95-96 vented style to avoid the same problem in the future, or if you find it is a moisture problem, up date it now. Oh and if you replace just the rotor, DON"T touch it with greasy fingers. Hold it carefully by the edges with clean fingers. Any smudges at all can be more problems.
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

firehawk173

Post by firehawk173 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm

lakeratiam wrote:Umm yea no spark can be a few things......The earlier opti sparks (93,94) were not vented and prone to problems with moisture building up in them. Could be a case of just that. The rotor is basically a optical trigger and any moisture that gets on it messes with it. Think of the windows in your car fogging up, same thing....even when dried out there could be some residue left on the rotor that could still cause intermittent issues. IMHO, I would start with the rotor. Later on down the line, you can up date the opti to a 95-96 vented style to avoid the same problem in the future, or if you find it is a moisture problem, up date it now.
Thank you for the quick response. That is where I am confused and decided to get the opinions of those who have been there and done that. Now when you say update it, Does that mean the whole Opti Spark unit? Is it plug and play? I see so many on ebay and they all vary in price. Some as low as $68. I just dont want to buy anything on the cheap. Any suggestions?

thank you, Jorge

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm

If you replace the whole unit with a new GM/Delco unit it is pug-n-play. There are some other aftermarket "stock replacement units" available but sometimes the quality can be questionable. Either way, you will need a vacuum harness for it. I wouldn't waste the money on a used unit unless it was from a really low mileage car from a trusted source and then I would still replace the rotor and cap "just because you are there". My advice if you are going thru all the trouble is buy a new one. Probably ok to buy a used vacuum harness, they just don't really have very many issues........ You will need to get a small "barbed" fitting the same size as the vacuum line to push into the rubber boot going to the throttle body to create the vacuum needed. Also ought to check the coil and coil wire while you are at it. If you know or and can chase down someone with a 95-97, ask if you can get glimpse at theirs, it would help you to see how things are routed.

Check this out http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/optisparkfaq.htm

You may want to have the ICM tested as well, make sure to warm it up by having who ever tests it test it several 6-10 times right in a row.....
Last edited by lakeratiam on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

firehawk173

Post by firehawk173 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 pm

lakeratiam wrote:If you replace the whole unit with a new GM/Delco unit it is pug-n-play. There are some other aftermarket "stock replacement units" available but sometimes the quality can be questionable. Either way, you will need a vacuum harness for it. I wouldn't waste the money on a used unit unless it was from a really low mileage car from a trusted source and then I would still replace the rotor and cap "just because you are there". My advice if you are going thru all the trouble is buy a new one. Probably ok to buy a used vacuum harness, they just don't really have very many issues........ You will need to get a small "barbed" fitting the same size as the vacuum line to push into the rubber boot going to the throttle body to create the vacuum needed. Also ought to check the coil and coil wire while you are at it. If you know or and can chase down someone with a 95-97, ask if you can get glimpse at theirs, it would help you to see how things are routed.
Thank you! What about the Ignition control module? What kind of issues can that cause? I'm one of the guys that if I am going to take anything apart, I might as well replace anything that should while I am there. I definitely wont buy anything used. I go on ebay and I see so many of these parts with a wide price range. I'd rather buy from a reliable source and at the same time not break the bank. I know this can get expensive really fast. My Mother In law is on a fixed income, so I have to play it smart for her. I see the MSD Billit unit and while it looks nice and Im sure it performs, it's just not feasible money wise for her. She is obviously looking for affordability with sacrificing reliability.

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You can take the ICM out and take it to most any parts store and have them test it........make sure they do it several times to warm it up because sometimes they only fail once they are warm.

Did you hose the motor down when you cleaned it up?

firehawk173

Post by firehawk173 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

lakeratiam wrote:You can take the ICM out and take it to most any parts store and have them test it........make sure they do it several times to warm it up because sometimes they only fail once they are warm.

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I'll do just that. :)

firehawk173

Post by firehawk173 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 pm

lakeratiam wrote:You can take the ICM out and take it to most any parts store and have them test it........make sure they do it several times to warm it up because sometimes they only fail once they are warm.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. No I did not hose it down. It failed while on the road. Engine bay was a bit dirty. No puddles or anything.

I took advantage of the car not running to clean the engine bay. I know hosing the engine down is not wise with the Opti Spark. :)

96AZHAWK

Post by 96AZHAWK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:03 pm

changing to a vented opti requires a different timing cover, dropping the oil pan a bit, the vented opti harness, and a decent chunk of work. :D

If you are not scared of doing the work regularly, you can get an Autozone lifetime warranty one.

Or... I would recommend the GM ones. Here is a link to the opti on Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-10457702

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 am

2001#194 (Unicorn)

96AZHAWK

Post by 96AZHAWK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 pm

BLACK-HAWK wrote:here's a wild idea... http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/24x.aspx :naughty:
I have done that setup before too... but also a bit more involved... :wink:

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 am

well since you're now trained and have experience come on up and put on on my car! :mrgreen:
2001#194 (Unicorn)

firehawk173

Post by firehawk173 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Update: Well it turned out to be the coil and the ignition control module. Car fired right up with no issues. Since I was there, I decided to clean things up a bit. Thank you all for the comments and support! :)

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Good deal! Looks clean! :) Glad that was all it was.....a lot less work to change those out.........BTW, 96AZHAWK is right about changing the front timing cover, sorry I forgot to mention that, even though you didn't do it this time, you may decide to update sometime in the future and will need that along with the 95 up opti and vacuum harness.