NEED HELP DETERMINING ENGINE! THANKS!

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Tommygun_98

NEED HELP DETERMINING ENGINE! THANKS!

Post by Tommygun_98 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:30 pm

i recently bought my 95 firehawk and thought my radiator cap wasnt sitting right causing it to overheat and boil over, well its the water pump. I don't want to but a new one without knowing exactly what kind of engine it is.
There is no specification anywhere on the car as to what kind of engine it is, Ls1 or Lt1 are my best bets saying as all i've searched up on this year and model are either these two. It is a 5.7L V8. Here is a picture of my block.
http://imgur.com/sTp514c

Links to affordable ( and correct ) water pumps would be muchly appreciated, im only 19 and on my own in texas and starting to learn about auto mechanics. I need all the help i can get. Thanks everyone!

Scott Chab

Re: NEED HELP DETERMINING ENGINE! THANKS!

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

LT1
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

lakeratiam

Post by lakeratiam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 pm

The "P" on the VIN tag on the dash designates the engine as 5.7 LT1. As for the water pump, personally, I prefer the stock GM water pump because most of (if not all of) the aftermarket water pumps use zinc plated water necks. (The pressed in piece that the hoses clamp to.) The factory GM unit utilizes stainless steel water necks that will not degrade or pit like the zinc plated steel ones will. Check out item # 370798305230 on ebay.

If you are going to change it yourself, check out Firebirdnation.com and do a search for "Bleeding the coolant system of a LT1" Also if you turn in the old pump as a "core"....DON'T forget to remove the coupler off of the back side of the pump, it should pull off, although sometimes may require some effort........that little piece will cost you $30.00 to replace if you let it get away from you. Good luck...let us know how it goes...... :D
I'm EVERYWHERE Dragan! :lol:

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 pm

lakeratiam wrote: The "P" on the VIN tag on the dash designates the engine as 5.7 LT1. As for the water pump, personally, I prefer the stock GM water pump because most of (if not all of) the aftermarket water pumps use zinc plated water necks. (The pressed in piece that the hoses clamp to.) The factory GM unit utilizes stainless steel water necks that will not degrade or pit like the zinc plated steel ones will. Check out item # 370798305230 on ebay.

If you are going to change it yourself, check out Firebirdnation.com and do a search for "Bleeding the coolant system of a LT1" Also if you turn in the old pump as a "core"....DON'T forget to remove the coupler off of the back side of the pump, it should pull off, although sometimes may require some effort........that little piece will cost you $30.00 to replace if you let it get away from you. Good luck...let us know how it goes...... :D
I have a P on my VIN tag but I don't have a 5.7L anymore. :wink:
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again