Torsen vs Auburn???

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

LTX_OUTLAW

Torsen vs Auburn???

Post by LTX_OUTLAW » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:08 am

Hey guys several weeks back I came across a great deal on a original SLP upgraded rear end with AAM cover from a 96 SS Camaro it has the torsen diff I was really excited to find one from a low mileage car and in good condition. But the past few weeks I have read some postings around and about that has me thinking should I install it? most of the posting's I found says the Auburn is good for straight and cornering where the Torsen is only good for cornering and will break easily if you drag race. A couple of years ago I came across a deal on my 93 formula I really wanted to do something different with this car than my other T/A's I mostly use it for a daily driver but in the years ahead I really would like to get into some amatuer auto cross and light road racing and I thought this rear end setup would be a decent upgrade compared to the stock diff. And also everywhere I looked they mentioned the Auburn being the upgraded rear end SLP offered so how was the torsen offered??? and what years was it available??? If any members have any advise or suggestions it would be helpful thx

96AZHAWK

Re: Torsen vs Auburn???

Post by 96AZHAWK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 am

I typed up a big response... and then lost it all... hahahaha

Basically LT1 cars came with Auburn units standard and SLP upgraded them to Torsen units. LS1 cars came with Torsen units standard and SLP upgraded them to Auburn units.

In my personal opinion, the upgraded rear ends were not huge improvements and all can be pushed to their limits with enough race type use. Rock it until it no longer works, then replace the weak points.

slowbird780

Post by slowbird780 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 am

^ this

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:17 pm

I have the "upgraded" Auburn in my LS1. And from what I've read on them in the past year I wish I had the Torsen. Since I don't beat on my car I'd rather have the rear end that will live the longest. The Auburn clutches wear just in simple cornering. I doubt I could even tell the two apart based on my driving habits. If road-racing is your next gig the Torsen may work better for you. But neither of these imo are made for heavy duty racing of either kind. From what I've read typical life for an Auburn might 30K to 50K miles while the Torsen is double that...assuming you don't race. My car will probably never get past 30,000 miles while I own it so I'm probably ok.

g.conway

Post by g.conway » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

From what I have read the Auburn diffs that are wearing out early could be from the owner switching from conventional 80W90 gear lube to the Synthetic 75W90 gear lube. Never use Synthetic in an Auburn Diff. It causes them to wear out prematurely.

Black Robe

Post by Black Robe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:25 pm

The Auburn clutches wear just in simple cornering.

There are no clutches in an Auburn. Bronze cones against steel gears.
Not rebuildable, but they work quite well until you add the wrong gear oil...
'01 Bright Red w/Black #C04 M6 Convertible
All GM Options, All SLP Options (Bilstein)

'82 Trans Am CACC/SCCA GT1 Road Racer

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Yup, My $300 junk yard 10bolt is still holding up with the power it's putting to the ground. spinning street tires helps relieve some of the added stresses too. Mickey Thompson ET Streets? I'm sure would cause a bomb to go off if it hooks up
2001#194 (Unicorn)

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:34 pm

96AZHAWK wrote:I typed up a big response... and then lost it all... hahahaha

It's taken me lots of lost write ups to learn to copy what I wrote because it system would time out... I feel your pain
2001#194 (Unicorn)

g.conway

Post by g.conway » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:39 pm

And don't forget the 2 ounces of limited slip gear lube additive in your fresh 80W90.
I read an article from a GM Engineer who stated that they ran a firehawk with an Auburn Differential on a test track for 5 months non stop, apx 120000 miles, with o issues.

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:55 pm

If techs can call them "cone clutches" then I figure I can as well. It doesn't have to have a clutch pedal to behave like a clutch.

The highly efficient torque transfer is achieved via cone clutches coupled to beveled side gears. As torque is transmitted through the differential side gears to the axle shafts, the side gear separating forces and spring pre-load firmly seat the cones into the differential case. The cone design, along with the applied force, determines the torque transfer capability of the differential. All Auburn Gear differentials require a high quality non-synthetic 80W90 GL-5 gear oil. Treat the oil with Auburn Gear, GM, or Ford additive. 3 ounces of additive per 1 quart of oil. A 6 oz. bottle of additive comes with each Auburn unit.

120,000 miles on a test track is highly dependent on the track. On a fairly high speed oval (40-80 mph average) with minimal stops and sharp turns, I'd expect that kind of mileage out of an Auburn too (ie highway miles). I'd bet most Firehawks are driven at a fairly aggressive 10-20 miles per trip with numerous stops, 90 degree turns, strong accelerations, etc. In that scenario, maybe you only get 40K to 60K on your differential. If you're a burnout king who drives very aggressively from stop light to stop light, you might not get to 40K. That 120K mile test track car is averaging close to 1,000 miles per day (40 mph average).