Differential/transmission whine

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

mikey44

Differential/transmission whine

Post by mikey44 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Recently bought an '02 Firehawk, 6-speed, with 14k miles. Have only driven it about 300 miles since purchase, but it has a very noticeable whine that seems to go away when I let off the accelerator. Any ideas ? Pinion bearing ?

sleepinghawk

Re: Differential/transmission whine

Post by sleepinghawk » Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 pm

First thing I would do is get it jacked up level and check the rear diff fluid. If you are lucky they replaced the cover with one you can check the level. Mine had a leak back when it was a low mileage and I didn't catch it quick. Then I would see if the owner changed the gears. Even when mine was very low on fluid it never made any noise. But if it leaks, it could be like mine and never leave any signs on your driveway.
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 am

Did it include the 'Auburn' package?
If so, it would have an aluminum finned cover, not the standard GM stamped steel cover.
And if it did, then read up on what to use for the gear lube.
Change the fluid, ..., I did & the whine I had went away.

Welcome a'board', ..., 8)

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 pm

The Tremec 6 speeds (especially with Hurst shifters that are not sound isolated as well) are notorious for rattles and whines coming through the shifter. While idling in neutral with the clutch pedal fully up do you hear a "whirring" sound coming from the shifter area? If so, that's neutral gear rollover. In some cars it presents itself in some gears, at higher/lower or all rpms. M6 6 speed always gives out a slight whine just from transmission gear noise. The more upgrades the engine, trans, clutch that may have done, the louder that "shifter" transmitted noise is. I've only test driven one LS-1 with a rear gear whine (it was an automatic). That car had 74K miles and was beat on a bit. It was quite clear that was rear end noise as it was not coming from under the shifter area but the rear of the car. If your whine never rattles or is always high pitched and very consistent it's probably the differential. The transmission rattles and whirs tend to be inconsistent or more random.

I'd agree with the diff fluid change. If you don't know the status of your last fluid changes I'd change them all. At least you'll know what went in and when. Wrong/old differential and tranny fluids can cause noises or at least accentuate the noises that always there though often not obvious. It's quite possible that with the low miles on your car the only fluids that have ever been changed is the oil....and maybe the coolant. Get that old stuff out. Odds favor that previous owners never changed the diff fluid either - so it's probably what the factory put in.

When you test drove the car what the did owner say the noise was? Or did you miss it? That's happened to me plenty of times. The longer you own it the more pick up.

mikey44

Post by mikey44 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 pm

It's not an Auburn. Has the stamped steel cover. Just read something on LS1 Tech that's got me curious. Before I purchased the car, drove it, various speeds, but didn't have the A/C on and didn't hear any whine. After purchase, turned on A/C, which only put out hot air. Seller paid for A/C system evacuate/recharge and system blew cold. LS1 Tech post noted that the A/C compressor may whine on low-mileage cars due to low use. Will have to check this out, as it sure would be cheaper to replace than to rebuild the differential.

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Thu May 15, 2014 9:44 pm

mikey44 wrote:It's not an Auburn. Has the stamped steel cover. Just read something on LS1 Tech that's got me curious. Before I purchased the car, drove it, various speeds, but didn't have the A/C on and didn't hear any whine. After purchase, turned on A/C, which only put out hot air. Seller paid for A/C system evacuate/recharge and system blew cold. LS1 Tech post noted that the A/C compressor may whine on low-mileage cars due to low use. Will have to check this out, as it sure would be cheaper to replace than to rebuild the differential.
I had the AC system evacuated and recharged right after I got my car. That recharge lasted a week. In the end I had to replace a leaking compressor as well as the HP and LP lines + expansion orifice....around $700-$800 total. The seller had been recharging the system to get him by. If you have a leak, you have a leak....take care of it. I'm now leery of all of these 2002 F-Bodies when the AC system's are still fully original. They will soon be needing AC work. Check both of those metal lines for wear spots. For some reason, my HP line was shaved down to a knife's edge right where the HP cut out switch goes. Hard to believe that only 13,000 miles of "rubbing" did that.

mikey44

Post by mikey44 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, had to bite the bullet and replace the ring and pinion. Bummer. But it's quiet as a church mouse now !!

Now have to decide if I want to replace the original tires. They have 14k miles on them, plenty of tread, but minute cracks high on the sidewall where tread starts. Kinda concerned that they are 12 yrs old.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Wait for it, ..., :lol:

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:07 pm

mikey44 wrote:Well, had to bite the bullet and replace the ring and pinion. Bummer. But it's quiet as a church mouse now !!

Now have to decide if I want to replace the original tires. They have 14k miles on them, plenty of tread, but minute cracks high on the sidewall where tread starts. Kinda concerned that they are 12 yrs old.
Kinda? Get rid of them.
'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

02 red hawk

Post by 02 red hawk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 pm

I still have the original tires on my NBM ws6, as there are only 3200 miles on them. Car has been garaged since day 1 & water based tire dressing is religiously applied to both inner & outer sidewalls. Tire pressure is maintained at 35 psi. They still look new. The tits finally wore off in 2012. :( Spend some time taking care of them & they can last, of course you'll have to keep your right foot calm.