Hood release broken.

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Colorado-Hawk

Hood release broken.

Post by Colorado-Hawk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Hello everyone,
I haven't posted in a very long time.
So I go to the Chevy dealership this morning to get an oil change done on the Firehawk, and while everyone was admiring the car, I pulled on the hood latch release and it came out! Couldn't get the hood open. Does anyone have any idea how to open the hood with a broken release cord?

Thanks,
Ray
Colorado Springs

Scott Chab

Re: Hood release broken.

Post by Scott Chab » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 pm

'94 Hawk #110
Back on the road helping me make bad decisions again

Colorado-Hawk

Post by Colorado-Hawk » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks Scott,
That gives me some hope. I think I'll take a quick trip to the bone yard this morning to see what exactly I'm dealing with before I go digging in there.

Colorado-Hawk

Post by Colorado-Hawk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 am

Got it open yesterday!! Really kind of scary how easy it was to do so.. 8O Took the black plastic shroud off from underneath and that gave me direct access to the latch.. Of course by the time I figured that out, I had taken off just about every other plastic piece under the nose.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Glad to hear it was easy.

I had an '82 TA that caught on fire shortly after I got to work one day. Opened the door, pulled the hood release and the cable had already melted.

The fire fighters got the hood open... With crowbars when they jammed them into the turn signals at the front edge of the hood.

I cried like a little girl. I was having a 400hp 350 built for it (back in '84, that was a boatload of power) that was going to be finished the week after the fire. The car was trashed. Fire went through the firewall and caught the dash on fire so they opened the door and blasted it with the firehose.

Ended up finding a guy that needed the entire rear clip for a wreck he was repairing so I sold it to him for $400 and I sold the wheels for $400 as well.
Last edited by Scott Chab on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Hawk #110

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Scott.... ouch! :(
2001#194 (Unicorn)

Colorado-Hawk

Post by Colorado-Hawk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 am

Oh I would have cried too Scott... I restored an '83 K5 Blazer - it was sweet! ZZ4 crate motor, shift kit, TPI fuel injection, polished intake, 4 inch lift. My girlfriend hated it cause it was loud, too tall, blah blah blahhhh.. Sold it to her brother to buy something a bit more modern that she would appreciate. Saw it 3 weeks later and it was trashed. Wrecked on the outside, not running, cigarette burns on the seats, headliner torn, etc... I cried... Broke up with her..
Not quite the same as the fire on your '92 - but still the loss of a nice vehicle... But I can relate.

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Colorado-Hawk wrote:Oh I would have cried too Scott... I restored an '83 K5 Blazer - it was sweet! ZZ4 crate motor, shift kit, TPI fuel injection, polished intake, 4 inch lift. My girlfriend hated it cause it was loud, too tall, blah blah blahhhh.. Sold it to her brother to buy something a bit more modern that she would appreciate. Saw it 3 weeks later and it was trashed. Wrecked on the outside, not running, cigarette burns on the seats, headliner torn, etc... I cried... Broke up with her..
Not quite the same as the fire on your '92 - but still the loss of a nice vehicle... But I can relate.
That sucks.
'94 Hawk #110