Paint Bubbling on Hood

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

agrestac

Paint Bubbling on Hood

Post by agrestac » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 pm

I recently purchased a one owner 2002 FIrehawk with 23,000 miles. It has the bubbling paint on the sail and I just ordered the sail and am taking it to a GM body shop to get it replaced. I also noticed the paint is bubbling on the front of the hood. The body shop manager says it may make it worse if they sand and paint the part of the hood that is bubbling. Has anyone had this same hood problem. He says it is moisture between the hood panel layers. Can the layers be sealed before it is sanded and repainted?
Cathy

jefffaye

Re: Paint Bubbling on Hood

Post by jefffaye » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 am

I have the exact same problem with paint bubbles on my "02, I hope someone can help us both. My car has been in storage since new, I am worried that having a body shop make repairs will make the car less desirable. Currently the car in my opinion is flawless except for the hood paint, what should a collector do in this case?

randybirdhawk

Post by randybirdhawk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 pm

I wish I would have left mine alone. Apollo Paint and Body painted my hood but wound not touch the roof because of a GM bulletin, so Pontiac replaced my roof and pained it. After 2 years the roof was more white than black, clear coat coming off and paint thinning. The hood is more white than black looks like clear coat bubble and flaking off. I followed all the recommended care and more.
2001 Formula Firehawk #190
SLP 160°F Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, SLP Skip Shift, SLP Tower Brace, SLP Air Box Lid, SLP Smooth Bellows, SLP High Capacity Radiator, and #241 Ported and Polished Heads
http://www.fquick.com/randybird

agrestac

Post by agrestac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Has anyone contacted SLP about the hood paint problem. I'm really afraid to get it repainted after the body shop told me they did one and it made it worse. The bubbling is just at the very front of the hood right now.

PontiacFan

Post by PontiacFan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:21 pm

It is now the year of 2015.
Fat chance ANY manufacturer will do anything for ya with something made in 2002.

If it's only a couple small bubbles, leave it alone.

agrestac

Post by agrestac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 pm

I didn't think they would do anything, just wanting to find out if anyone knows how to correct the hood problem. I am having a Chevy body shop replace and repaint the roof sail panel so that will be taken care of. But I want to get the hood corrected too as the car will only be taken to shows once I get those two things fixed.

Firebrian

Post by Firebrian » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

There's not a lot of exposure on this site. You might get a lot more replies and information over at LS1tech.com and other sites that cater to more models than just the Firehawk. There's definitely a right way to fix these problems. You might end up having to repaint the entire hood. And that could risk a mismatch in the paint to other body panels.

agrestac

Post by agrestac » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the advice Firebrian. I'll try that!