Change from stock muffler to a SLP loud mouth

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

g.conway

Change from stock muffler to a SLP loud mouth

Post by g.conway » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Would this swap affect the value on a 10th Anniversary car. If so then how much. Love my car but needs more exhaust notes.

sleepinghawk

Re: Change from stock muffler to a SLP loud mouth

Post by sleepinghawk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Unless you have about 1,0000 miles on the od, and plan on never driving your car, then yes changing out the exhaust will add no value to your hawk. Enjoy your car and mod it and drive it. I took my original exhaust off and went with the LM1 right after I got it. The guy who had the car before me only had 325 miles on it in 3 years. What a waste of fun he missed out on, and he was worried about the value also. Should of bought a Bank CD. Better investment! :lol: You can always hold on to the original exhaust and put it back on just as easy.
Fquick Page
My Cardomain site

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

Mattie

Post by Mattie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Keep the old parts - no biggie.

I installed SLP Powerflo's on mine. Not as loud as the "loudmouth". Far better than stock. The stainless tips & powerflo's look awesome. Great finish on them.
mattie

2000 T/A Firehawk #C15
Black, T-tops, 6spd.

Sideshow

Post by Sideshow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 am

Put the Loudmouth II on mine...stock exhaust is sitting in the shed. I agree with sleepinghawk...unless you're not driving it and it's absurdly low mileage, should have no real affect on value.
2001 NBM T/A Firehawk Convertible
All GM options, MN6
SLP options - Bilstein, Auburn, Chrome Wheels, Cover, Portfolio, Personalized Mat
Custom FRC's & head plate
, DG SFC's & STB, Loudmouth II

g.conway

Post by g.conway » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:24 pm

I've got 17000 miles on my 10th. I am trying to keep it as Stock as possible. I do like the gold aluminium exhaust tips, but it is way too quiet after driving my big block Dodge with MagnaFlow for 14 years. Hard to put it back to factory after cutting the pipes.

ajsfirehawk

Post by ajsfirehawk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:21 pm

I agree that you should do whatever you want with your own car, period. But, you are posting soliciting input. I put three exhaust systems on my 02 Trans Am before I settled on a Borla with a 3" custom exhaust. I also love the unique sound the stock exhaust on the 97 Firehawk produces, mellow, but deep. After driving from Colo to Yosemite and back in 8 days, I was finally tired of the volume of the Borla. 5 days of driving out of 8 days, but even as a major fan of that sound, it can get to you if you are going cross country. I would put the Borla on again in a second.
02 Trans Am Dark Blue M6
97 Firehawk#00070/Sebring Silver M6
79 KZ650 SR
82 KZ1100 LTD

Stringfellow

Post by Stringfellow » Fri May 01, 2015 7:57 pm

I put the LM2 on my 10th, luv it and also powder coated the tips gold, just sets the car off and would look odd on a black and gold car that has no "bright work" on her. I had intended to have my orig cat back pulled out in 1 piece for restoration option down the road, but mechanic friend misinterpreted me and cut it just ahead of the axle (I wasn't there yet, was at work). Im sure, somehow, it can be repaired in a few different options, but Im not worried about it. I also installed ARH 1 3/4 catted Y headers, and totally changed the character of the car in terms of muscle image, plus the added torque and up top breathing are a sweet bonus. I didn't do either of these mods for HP/TQ, but rather, sound/fit/reliability. As for depreciating the value of the car, I think those who think about it and care, I try to put myself in the shoes of a buyer in 30yrs as if a buyer would now for muscle car from the 60s. Since these are SLP upfitted cars, would you care, or place less value on a mint example offered for sale just because it has a secondary exhaust manufactured by the company that produced the car your buying? Obviously, the 100% as delivered off the truck will hold the highest of values in yrs to come as with all cars to future "collectors", but have 2 cars beside each other, both completely mint and exact in everyway, same tranny, options, color, year and mileage within a couple hundred miles but one has the SLP exhaust, while the other has a different brand, like corsa, or whoever. Which one wold a future "buyer" go for first?

BTW- As an owner of a LM catback and full length header car with a 6spd, I love it. Its not too loud, and its fairly quiet for what it is when Idling. When pumping the air thru it and flogging the gears, ya, its Loud, but not obnoxious. I don't notice any drone at cruise speed/RPM on highway, and I can hold a conversation in the car with my wife at normal speaking volume, except when rowing gears. I would just equate it to being an amplified sound, stock similar type sound, but amplified.
ImageImage
2001 10th Anniversary M6
car # 472/10th # 110

Firehawk - Fiercest of the Firebirds
Signed Book # 472

DraganHawk

Post by DraganHawk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Do want you want to do but keep the old stuff. My 10th has:
7,000 miles
427 with forged Lunati internals
SLP heads and "cam"