2001 Formula Hawk #293 Restoration thread.

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

opie

Re: 2001 Formula Hawk #293 Restoration thread.

Post by opie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 am

Looking great! 👍
02SOMHAWK374

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 am

Door panel crack prevention:
SO I am sure some, if not many of you have had the top piece of plastic on your door panel crack. Here are a couple of tips to prevent it and how I modded my panels.

Cause:
There are several possible causes from impact or sometimes slamming doors which the only way to prevent is to not slam the door or hit it, but the one that gets people with age is the window sweep. The window sweep is held on from the factory with heavy duty staples. They are great for fastening, but as the sweep ages the rubber tends to shrink and the staple is not strong enough to hold it in place. It not only tears the rubber on the sweep a little, but as it shrinks it pulls in on the plastic on the door until "POP" the panel cracks. So the fix is fairly simple. Take the door panel off, remove the staples and replace them with small screws. when I say small I mean 4-6MM tops. The increased holding force of the screws will keep the sweep from shrinking down as much for a longer period of time. All you have to do is get the screws (I used brass and self tapping because they won't rust), put the sweep in place and carefully drill the appropriate sized hole through the sweep into the plastic, and then put the screws in. Go slow and make sure the alignment of the sweep is correct before you drill. Total cost was about $10. Also while you are in there make sure all of the door panel hook anti rattle foam is in place. Mine was missing a whole bunch of it. If it is missing just get some high density foam (any kind will do) cut it down to about a 2X2 piece, slit the middle, and slide it over the hook. 2 Very easy things to make sure your door panels stay in tip top shape. Mine were already a little busted up so they will have to be replaced eventually, but for now this should keep them looking decent until then.

For this post:
25Pk of brass screws/washers $12.45 @ home depot
High density foam $0.00 (had on hand)
Total Cost this post $12.45
Overall cost:$4796.45

Labor this Post: 2.0hrs
Total Labor: 38 hrs
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

2002 red hawk

Post by 2002 red hawk » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:32 am

I did this as preventive maintenance years ago. I used 4mm stainless screws for a cleaner look. The only time you can see the screw heads is when then window is all the way down. Panels still look perfect. This procedure is well worth doing if your panels are not already cracked.

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Sorry I've been so quiet on this thread for awhile. The Hawk has been hiding away most of the summer, the original 10 bolt is getting a bit sketchy so I don't take it far. I also moved which has limited my ability to get rolling on the Axle rebuild at the shop. Might get some stuff done this weekend if I can get some quick welding done. I am good at many things, but welding is not one of them......
-Nick

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Got some of the work done for the 10 bolt. It is FAR from show quality but the intent is functionality and reducing the possibility of rust in the future.

**Important safety tip for this post, with the exception of the soap wear a respirator for all of these chemical treatments and paints and do them in a well ventilated area or if possible outside. They work very well but they are EXTREMELY hazardous to your health**

First I cleaned the ever living heck out of it with the Purple Castrol cleaner. I have not found anything that works as well at degreasing (that doesn't punch holes in the Ozone layer anyway). Once all the grime was off I could see what I had to work with.

After that I packed it up and sent it out to have the axle tubes welded to the center section. Not the best welds I've seen, but I am terrible at it, lol. Welding the tubes takes a pretty big chunk of flex out of the rear which is one o the leading causes of failure on these cars. Every little bit helps.

Now the real work began. With the amount of rust on it I decided to use a rust converter before I primed it. Converter will only stick to pure rust, but it chemically alters it into it's own primer.
***Note: A suggestion I would make is to use a red primer/rust encapsulator, I used black. They work identically, but the converter turns the rust black, and then priming and painting in black makes it difficult to tell what's covered and what isn't, as you'll see in the following pics**
I'm also changing out the yoke, which is why I did not mask it off to avoid getting paint on it

Here it is with the rust converter:

Then I primed it with rust encapsulator to prevent it from rusting again the future:

And lastly, used Eastwoods new Ceramic 2 stage chassis paint on it

For this post:
1 Gallon of Castrol Super Clean degreaser $17.00
Welding (Professional) $80.00
1 Can of Eastwood Chassis clean $7.00
1 Can of Eastwood Rust Converter $20.00
1 Can of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator $20.00
1 Can of Eastwood Ceramic 2K Chassis Black $25.00

Total Cost for This post: $169.00
Total Cost Overall: $4938.45

Labor this Post: 12 hrs (36 if you count watching paint dry!!)
Total Labor: 50 hrs
-Nick

2002 red hawk

Post by 2002 red hawk » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Watching paint dry is one of the more riveting aspects of auto restoration.

NBrehm

Post by NBrehm » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:50 am

2002 red hawk wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm
Watching paint dry is one of the more riveting aspects of auto restoration.
It was humid too, took FOREVER
-Nick