Board index
The Official Firehawk Message Board
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 pm 

I finally received my 2002 Firehawk #0202 yesterday. I noticed the air-filter top-lid of the SLP Blackwing tabs don't quite fit in the slots. They seem rather short. I checked and inside was a dirty paper filter (replaced). Even closing the lid with the plastic frame-insert out is still a challenge. I took apart the entire business there, removing the side-hose, plug-in sensor, and unscrewed the air-send intake. All apart, then tried to fit the lid on top. No go. Barely fits all 4 tabs in the inserts. They seem too short. Also, any further back would make the front of the lid not fit on the bottom portion of the filter-surround piece.

Has anyone had any difficulty with the Blackwing lid fitment as well? Have the tabs not fit for anyone else? I got mine to, barely, maybe a millimeter in each tab-slot and then the clamps snap-down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 pm 

Mine fits perfect, not sure why yours isn't

2001 Formula Firehawk #293

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 pm 

Looks like the original owner added the "smooth bellows" add-on so I'll have to shave that down a millimeter, based on LS1 forums. ;p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:39 pm 

That may be it, try it with the bellows off and see if it fits better. Sometimes they lift the back of it up a touch.

2001 Formula Firehawk #293

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 am 

There are 2 different plastic inserts. The stock insert has angled sides and the Blackwing has straight sides. I ordered a blackwing air filter for my 2001 Hawk and it came with the strait sided insert. Fit perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:15 pm 

I just put my Blackwing back on, and I had a hell of a time getting it in those 2 slots. If the bellow was shaved a little, that would allow everything to move into the slots. I'm getting ready to put the hawk up on Sunday, so I'll be shaving the bellow over the winter.

2002 Trans am FireHawk #1426

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:24 am 

UPDATE* Took apart the entire setup from the filter housing back to the MAF screen and repositioned all the rubber pathways deeper so they'd go as far as they can over the MAF. The net repositioning, setting all of these as far as they could go towards the engine allowed for the Blackwing filter box to set nicely, finally.