Aftermarket collision avoidance?

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

The Silverdude

Aftermarket collision avoidance?

Post by The Silverdude » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am

It seems like I'm now spoiled by the parking and collision sensors in my daily driver, so I looked online to see if there's something I could slap onto my Hawk to keep me more alert of my surroundings. I've already ordered a reverse camera to add to a new nav system, but what is catching my interest are different add-on sensor packages that go into the bumpers (either ultrasonic or RADAR) like current cars to audibly alert of something getting too close. Now obviously I don't want to be drilling holes into my front and rear bumpers if I can help it, so has anyone here seen or heard of something else that can do a similar job of proximity alerting without the drilling?
Black 2002 Trans Am Firehawk # 1133, 383 LS1, ported/polished heads, headers, American Racing longtube, and a bunch of other cool stuff...

Scott Chab

Re: Aftermarket collision avoidance?

Post by Scott Chab » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Every system I've seen requires drilling. Not sure how a sensor would work unless it's on the outside of the bumper.
'94 Hawk #110
Soon to be helping me make bad decisions again

The Silverdude

Post by The Silverdude » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Scott, it seems there are a few products that use an electromagnetic sensor mounted behind the bumper to supposedly detect objects, but I can't find any real-world reviews of them, and therefore can't compare their accuracy to that of the drilled-bumper kind.
Black 2002 Trans Am Firehawk # 1133, 383 LS1, ported/polished heads, headers, American Racing longtube, and a bunch of other cool stuff...

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm

The rear bumper isn't Firehawk specific. I say go ahead and drill the small holes. Get silver painted sensors and they'll blend in just like they do on modern era vehicles.
someday, i'll have another firehawk...

Scott Chab

Post by Scott Chab » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 am

The Silverdude wrote:Scott, it seems there are a few products that use an electromagnetic sensor mounted behind the bumper to supposedly detect objects, but I can't find any real-world reviews of them, and therefore can't compare their accuracy to that of the drilled-bumper kind.
It seems or there are? Any links?
'94 Hawk #110
Soon to be helping me make bad decisions again

The Silverdude

Post by The Silverdude » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Well, Proxel's products (http://www.proxel.com/en/), and other random stuff like this (http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inbuelsekit.html) all over the place. I haven't found a good comparison for the stick-behind-bumper ones and the regular stuff in current cars.