Board index
The Official Firehawk Message Board
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am 

It seems like I'm now spoiled by the parking and collision sensors in my daily driver, so I looked online to see if there's something I could slap onto my Hawk to keep me more alert of my surroundings. I've already ordered a reverse camera to add to a new nav system, but what is catching my interest are different add-on sensor packages that go into the bumpers (either ultrasonic or RADAR) like current cars to audibly alert of something getting too close. Now obviously I don't want to be drilling holes into my front and rear bumpers if I can help it, so has anyone here seen or heard of something else that can do a similar job of proximity alerting without the drilling?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm 

Every system I've seen requires drilling. Not sure how a sensor would work unless it's on the outside of the bumper.

'94 Hawk #110
Soon to be helping me make bad decisions again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm 

Scott, it seems there are a few products that use an electromagnetic sensor mounted behind the bumper to supposedly detect objects, but I can't find any real-world reviews of them, and therefore can't compare their accuracy to that of the drilled-bumper kind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm 

The rear bumper isn't Firehawk specific. I say go ahead and drill the small holes. Get silver painted sensors and they'll blend in just like they do on modern era vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 am 

The Silverdude wrote:
Scott, it seems there are a few products that use an electromagnetic sensor mounted behind the bumper to supposedly detect objects, but I can't find any real-world reviews of them, and therefore can't compare their accuracy to that of the drilled-bumper kind.

It seems or there are? Any links?

'94 Hawk #110
Soon to be helping me make bad decisions again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm 

Well, Proxel's products (http://www.proxel.com/en/), and other random stuff like this (http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/inbuelsekit.html) all over the place. I haven't found a good comparison for the stick-behind-bumper ones and the regular stuff in current cars.