How to do a coolant change (drain and refill, no flush)

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

prix57

How to do a coolant change (drain and refill, no flush)

Post by prix57 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 pm

My apologies if this has already been posted.

I have a 97 Firehawk LT1 M6 and I was wondering if anyone here had a step by step guide on doing a coolant change to just drain and refill (no flush). I was told by the previous owner of this Firehawk to make sure this gets done every 2 years. Its running the regular green coolant, no dexcool.

Thanks!
Last edited by prix57 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NBrehm

Re: How to do a coolant change (drain and refill, no flush)

Post by NBrehm » Sat May 26, 2018 10:03 pm

There s a drain on the bottom of the radiator on the engine side. Open, drain into bucket,refill radiator and overflow bottle. Done.

Run the car awhile then check the level. DO NOT open the radiator cap with a hot engine and make sure you use Dexcool (red) or universal (yellow) coolant. Don't mix green with it
-Nick
2001 Formula Firehawk #293

8 is enough

Post by 8 is enough » Sat May 26, 2018 10:29 pm

You will also need to purge the air in the system with the purge valves on the thermostat cover.
1994 Yellow Firehawk Trans am Pilot Car #003

FIRSTLAST

Post by FIRSTLAST » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 pm

A pointer. Old school mechanics always like distilled water, no ionization, and distilling removes minerals that form the rust issues. It's the most important element in reducing later onset rust issues. And aluminum does rust (the radiator). You aren't getting clean refill unless you flush with tap water, and I always run a cleaner, (give it the prescribed time). If fluids look great, a water flush and drain add less than 20 min.
2002 Firehawk 1111 NBM

FIRSTLAST

Post by FIRSTLAST » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:28 pm

A car that is 22 years old needs brake lines and reservoir fluid changed. Condensation occurs from season changes, and that water ruins the wheel cylinders and caliper. You don't even need to use the car, still does the damage. I pull all wheels, do in one process with achelper, or by using the brake VAC machines, you can do by yourself.
2002 Firehawk 1111 NBM