Noise from new control arrms

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

kane3one6

Noise from new control arrms

Post by kane3one6 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:03 pm

I just had a set of Lakewood control arms and a set of BMR sub frame conectors put into my 2000 automatic convertible. The itstilation went fairly easy. After the istall, tested the car and things seemed fine. The other day I started to get a bit of a rattle in my drivers side door and a clunking sound over fairly large road irregularities. This clunking is made worse when there is someone in the back seat. Is this just a normal side effect of the stiffer suspension, or could something have been installed wrong?

The parts were installed on a lift, so all four tires were on the ground at all times during instilation. Also, the control arm bolts were tightened to spec per the instuctions.

Any advise would be helpful.

Chuck Stong

Post by Chuck Stong » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:33 am

I am not familiar with these arms, but if they do not allow for articulation, they can bind and cause noise. Stock setup does this with soft rubber bushings. Other do this with heim joints. Ones with poly on both ends cause problems.
Chuck Stong
94 #307, 383 setup for roadracing and with an audiophile quality sound system

Rotzy

Post by Rotzy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:13 pm

Chuck Stong wrote:I am not familiar with these arms, but if they do not allow for articulation, they can bind and cause noise. Stock setup does this with soft rubber bushings. Other do this with heim joints. Ones with poly on both ends cause problems.
I have not replaced the LCAs for the same reason. When I did my suspension setup, I was advised of substantially the same thing that Chuck said above. I decided to avoid the hassle and skip it all together. I believe the hawks came with the 1LE LCAs anyway, so at least it's a bit sturdier than a base t/a....
2002 T/A Firehawk #1245

Chuck Stong

Post by Chuck Stong » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:48 am

Just buy a set that has a good heim joint on one end, and you should be fine. Than again, stock is pretty good, so a good aftermarket set will not make a huge difference. I need to replace the bushings on mine, as even poly does not last forever.
Chuck Stong
94 #307, 383 setup for roadracing and with an audiophile quality sound system