LT1 owners read

Post your comments & questions

Moderators: FAOA Administrators, FAOA Moderators

Firebuzzard

LT1 owners read

Post by Firebuzzard » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:22 pm

I posted a couple weeks ago about my LT1 engine leak. Everyone said it probably was the rear intake...it was. Anyway, I figured I would try something different, instead of removing intake and trying to re-seal it that way. What I did was cleaned rear intake block area very thoroughly...twice with Castrol cleaner, then a third with rubbing alcohol. I waited for a few minutes to dry. While I was waiting I wrapped the EGR tube with thermo wrap to keep heat away from intake. Then back to the intake...I got a small mirror and lots of light and took black high temp RTV, and smeared it between block and intake area where they meet. I let it dry for 3 days...1 day would have been good enough but it rained the next two. I took it out and drove it "hard" for 30 miles...good and hot. Took it home, let it sit in garage for 8 hours...no leaks! It usually leaks about a dime size spot EVERY time after driving. I hope it lasts...would be better than paying the shop $450 to do it.

Matt B

Post by Matt B » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:13 am

If that doesn't work, its really pretty easy to remove and reseal the intake on your own.

If you are somewhat handy with tools, all you need is to pop the fuel rail off and slide it up under the hood onto the windshield, remove the throttle body then you should be able to pull the rest of the wires/hoses off and pull them aside enough to get the intake off, cleaned and then reinstalled.

Hope your temp fix holds though!

02Hawk502

Post by 02Hawk502 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Like Matt said, it is not difficult at all to remove and reseal the intake. Do it right the first time...don't just bandaid the problem.
'04 Pontiac GTO - New Toy
'05 Honda 600RR - Awesome Bike
'97 Camaro SS - FOR SALE
'01 GMC 2500HD - 8100/Allison
'90 Cavalier Z24 - Wicked Beater

BLACK-HAWK

Post by BLACK-HAWK » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:45 pm

if it keeps leaking... pull the motor and make that 350 to a 383., thats what i did. i fried a main/rod bearing. i had the same like oil leak and let it get to low..
2001#194 (Unicorn)